Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Thanks for the feedback on the skylights, and Ron, good point about cold weather ballasts for the garage.

I like your idea about setting the deck posts back from the outside perimeter some. Unfortunately I don't think I can have both that AND not have posts in front of the basement windows. Will discuss with the builder, I talk to him 7 days a week anyway. Lol. He just dropped off stamped concrete patterns and colors, as well as color selections for the hardy plank. He is also leaning towards using block for the walls comming off the garage now.

Nobody on site today because of the snow... :(

The inspection scheduled for tomorrow and been pushed to Wednesday. That's the one that will trigger the power company coming out and installing the transformer and hooking it up to the meter base.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #742  
Thanks for the feedback on the skylights, and Ron, good point about cold weather ballasts for the garage.

I like your idea about setting the deck posts back from the outside perimeter some. Unfortunately I don't think I can have both that AND not have posts in front of the basement windows. Will discuss with the builder, I talk to him 7 days a week anyway. Lol. He just dropped off stamped concrete patterns and colors, as well as color selections for the hardy plank. He is also leaning towards using block for the walls comming off the garage now.

Nobody on site today because of the snow... :(

The inspection scheduled for tomorrow and been pushed to Wednesday. That's the one that will trigger the power company coming out and installing the transformer and hooking it up to the meter base.

Pete,
I must not have been clear. Using a beam or 2 x joist bolted to the top of the post ( house side and woods side ) to support the underside of the frame that is now in place, gives infinite location of the posts position along the beam or post, except for the rule governing how many posts you must have ( how many feet apart). Within that parameter you should be able to space the posts so there is one in the space between the double door and window on each side, and then on toward the corner outside the window space, and on to the diagonal turn, etc. while maintaining even or at least balanced spacing. If the code says you must have a post at least every 10 feet you can have one every 9 ft. or 8 ft. or whatever works out; just not more than 10. Having the post closer to the house actually gives you a wider view from inside the windows.
See attached with caption.;)
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #743  
Getting power is a BIG step, makes things easier for everyone. For what it is worth, I had two Velux skylights that I installed and lived with for over 10 years in my last house without any problems.

MarkV

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Ah, I got you now Ron. Lol on the caption. I actually added that pole barn extension to my shop 99% by myself. Setting those 6x6 16' posts by myself was a bit of a pain though. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #745  
Always nice to work off of site power rather than a generator...

Aaron Z

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #746  
I actually added that pole barn extension to my shop 99% by myself. Setting those 6x6 16' posts by myself was a bit of a pain though. :D

Pete,
Next time you have to set those 16' 6x6 by yourself, chain them to your pallet forks. It is a lot easier on the back. Rick

IMG_1569 (Large).JPG

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #747  
Ah, I got you now Ron. Lol on the caption. I actually added that pole barn extension to my shop 99% by myself. Setting those 6x6 16' posts by myself was a bit of a pain though. :D

Yes, I ended up looking at the entire thread. First look was just to positive ID your house so I could figure out where mom's new one is being built.
I enjoyed your green rig for putting the roof panels up.

Another point on garage lighting. I don't know if your mom has a car with a trunk or a hatchback, but this basically applies to both. The little lights that come on, on a double wide garage door opener are lousy. If she pulls in in the winter, shuts down the engine, and then closes the garage door, before getting out to get groceries or other packages from the trunk or hatchback, it is pretty dark back there.
I would suggest having a light/lights in the ceiling back near the garage door as well as in the front near the entrance to the mudroom and basement stairs.

You might even do a relay off the door opener that would energize a circuit to some of the lights to turn them on before she gets out of the car and stay latched after the remote times out, so the lights would stay on until until she turns the lights off with a push button or toggle switch by the mudroom door.

At the very least, have the electrician put a two way or three way, toggle on the wall right to the left of her driver door, so she can turn on some lights
w/o having to go to either end of the garage.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #749  
I've been looking all night to find out if my skylights are Velux, and I can't find my info. I bought them at HD in march 1997, and even have the faded receipt which just says skylight. I think they are Velux, and have been very good. Mine crank open and have a screen. I do have an occasional leak near one on a 4/12 pitch, but I can't claim it's due to the skylight, although my wife does. She does not like skylight in the bedroom, that one will have to go someday.

I put in lots of 16' 6x6 posts by myself, found it to be pretty easy. pick them up about 3' with pallet forks, one end over the hole, lift the other end up, setting the other end in the hole, and walk it up.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #750  
I've been looking all night to find out if my skylights are Velux, and I can't find my info. I bought them at HD in march 1997, and even have the faded receipt which just says skylight. I think they are Velux, and have been very good. Mine crank open and have a screen. I do have an occasional leak near one on a 4/12 pitch, but I can't claim it's due to the skylight, although my wife does. She does not like skylight in the bedroom, that one will have to go someday.

I put in lots of 16' 6x6 posts by myself, found it to be pretty easy. pick them up about 3' with pallet forks, one end over the hole, lift the other end up, setting the other end in the hole, and walk it up.