Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #131  
Schweizer, Im just north of you, south central Washington. I made my own trusses using a handy chart I got from some university extension. 001.jpg
1-23-11 010.jpg1-23-11 001.jpg
My ridge beam is two sistered 2x12s, runs the entire length, and is only supported at a center post and the gables. Its total length is 60 feet but only spans 24 feet. I lifted it in two parts that overlapped. It was one of the most intense parts of the entire project.
11-8-10 068.jpg11-9-10 015.jpg

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #132  
Anyway, Im kinda inexperienced here and feel like Im hijacking your thread. If I can figure out how to link it ,I have a Picassa web album of the entire build from excavation to finish (if I can call anything finished) Ill try to share it.

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #133  
Anyway, Im kinda inexperienced here and feel like Im hijacking your thread. If I can figure out how to link it ,I have a Picassa web album of the entire build from excavation to finish (if I can call anything finished) Ill try to share it.

I like it. I think it looks nice.

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #134  

I like it. I think it looks nice.

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn
feel like Im hijacking your thread.

No Problem!

Well, the goal was to have the barn done enough to have a harvest party / barn party this fall, and it happened on Sunday, Nov 4! Wife and women from church did lots of decorating. Food theme was favorite soup/stew. Lots of desserts too, + spiced apple cider, cocoa, etc. Bonfire. Hayrides. It was a blast! Man, my broken foot was sore at the end -- I paid for it all the next week. (Bones are healing fine, it's the partially torn tendon that's still giving me trouble.

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

Bluegrass music around the campfire
DSC02234.jpg

Barn builder, Caesar/Anthony, and wife Cleopatra
DSC02237.jpg

And this pic is from today -- I've been building doors and putting up box rail track for the front doors.
DCIM0119.jpg

Marcus

feel like Im hijacking your thread.

No Problem!

Well, the goal was to have the barn done enough to have a harvest party / barn party this fall, and it happened on Sunday, Nov 4! Wife and women from church did lots of decorating. Food theme was favorite soup/stew. Lots of desserts too, + spiced apple cider, cocoa, etc. Bonfire. Hayrides. About 70 people came from work, church, and Rotary club. It was a blast! Man, my broken foot was sore at the end -- I paid for it all the next week. (Bones are healing fine, it's the partially torn tendon that's still giving me trouble.

View attachment 288871

View attachment 288872

Bluegrass music around the campfire
View attachment 288873

Barn builder, Caesar/Anthony, and wife Cleopatra (i.e. me and the Mrs.)
View attachment 288874

And this pic is from today -- I've been building doors and putting up box rail track for the front doors.
View attachment 288875

Marcus

Last edited:
   / Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #137  
That is one nice looking barn that you've built!

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #138  
Pretty neat. Got me thinking of some ideals. What does something like this cost to put up? Looks like you did most of the work yourself so that must have saved a bunch.

I had a cost ledger going but stopped a few months ago, but I guess currently about $20k. Because I had a contractor sheath the roof in plywood, paper it, and put on the metal, I could have saved about $4000. (Materials and labor on the roof were about $8000.) If I had someone build the whole thing it would probably cost double what I have into it. (??) Maybe some contractor here would know more. Also, I had the contractor set the posts in concrete because my auger wasn't going to dig 18" holes 4 ft deep, so that was several thousand bucks more. If you did absolutely all the work yourself, materials would be $10-15,000. Depends on lots of factors of course. i.e. loft floor materials weren't cheap -- microlam beams and BCI joists.

Doing some jobs around the house this a.m., but going back to building barn doors this afternoon (day off work).

Marcus