Building boom sprayer w/foam marker

/ Building boom sprayer w/foam marker
Kenny my wife tells me the same thing, "Finish one project before you start another." But the lathe really makes a good cold weather project and well the sprayer it will be used in this kind of weather.

Thanks for the complement, we're having fun.

/ Building boom sprayer w/foam marker #22  
PineRidge said:
my wife tells me the same thing, "Finish one project before you start another."

Mine also, I'm just busting your chops:)
I call it "mutlitasking"

After lots of tests I've finally settled on using a common 5 gallon fuel carboy. They are cheap, hold a full 5 gallons of soap/water mix which will make a lot of foam and won't rust.

I'll most likely use two for the boom, one for the left side and one for the right. I have two miniature air solenoid valves that I'll be using to switch which side the air goes to which will also establish which side the foam will be generated from.

The foam that you see in the picture is being generated with only 2 psi of air and I went to a 6" aquarium air stone to make mucho bubbles the consistency of shaving cream. The bubbles are also pretty dry and last for hours before breaking down.

Attachments

• gate22.jpg
    gate22.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,250
   / Building boom sprayer w/foam marker #25  
Wonderful project.. and I like the creativity you have exhibited in using various found/cheap items. I myself have several of those little 12 volt air compressors... never been able to use them successfully for airing tires... but, I suspect that they would do well if recycled into a foam marker system. When you are all done, I hope you put the whole story together along with materials list, construction details, photos, etc... so we can see it all in one place. I think you are almost there. Stuff like this is why I am a TBN member.

I need to do exactly what you have done... You are right, the commercial rigs are really pricey! I already have the boom sprayer, just not the foam marker system.

John that's exactly our game plan here. We want to prove that a good, reliable foam marker doesn't have to set you back 900-1700 bucks. I'm trying to use items that are most likely already in your basement or ones that can be easily and inexpensively obtained. Glad you like the project so far.

/ Building boom sprayer w/foam marker #27  
Neat project!

I'd like to question you on this....
We want to prove that a good, reliable foam marker doesn't have to set you back 900-1700 bucks
Assuming it has some value (ie you don't work for free), is your TIME being factored into the cost of this project?

NoMo said:
Neat project!

I'd like to question you on this....

Assuming it has some value (ie you don't work for free), is your TIME being factored into the cost of this project?

The foam marker is independent from the boom sprayer. That is it can be added to a sprayer that you may already own. The foam generator is very simple to build compared to the boom sprayer itself.

I also think most of the projects seen here at the TBN site are made by members because working with their hands gives them great satisfaction, especially when the project works as intended, and that my friend you can't put a value on.

BTW: This picture is of a foam blob that I put on the grass over 12 hours ago. This foam is easy to see and lasts a loooong time.

Attachments

• gate23.jpg
    gate23.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 4,729
   / Building boom sprayer w/foam marker #29  
PineRidge, you are dead center where I am at. Have boom sprayer, can't tell where I've been, need foam marker, willing to use commercial foam spray, don't have that much $$ for a low use item although it does have value in reduced time and materials applied, have tools, will build using common components... looks like you are well on the way to writing the complete book about how to make this.... anxious to get full story.... Thanks for the posts so far!:)

Tonight we finished up the PMK111 solid state timer. I did substitute the original trim pots with 250K units & also substituted both electrolytic caps for 220 mfd units to give the timer a wider timing span.

This timer is relatively inexpensive, ($9.95 in kit form) works well, and is available from www.allelectronics.com on-line.

The timer is normally powered by the tractors 12 volt system but here I am using a 9 volt battery for testing and adjusting purposes. the PC board will eventually be housed in a small project box.

Keep in mind that a timer is an option. The foam marker can just as easily be controlled with a simple on/off switch or foot switch if you so desire to keep it simple.

Attachments

• pmk111.jpg
    pmk111.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,881