Building firewood rack from pallets

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #21  
When I see ibc totes, they strike me as very small. Yours don't though.

What are their measurements (inside)?

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #22  
Your tree guy wood sure looks better than any tree guy wood I've ever got. That was cut at least. I've gotten quite a few good logs from them, but anything they cut is between 12-40" long and cut at angles. I've started dumping their "firewood" on the burn pile. They make me take it to get the good logs.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #23  
All of my IBC cages are 275 gallon cages. The inside of the cage is 48" long, 40" wide and 40" tall. The pallet add another 6" to the height. So each one holds 1/3 of a cord of wood. This works well because a cord of green oak weighs about 4000 lbs, so each pallet weighs 1300lbs plus the 90lbs for the cage = 1400lbs which is about all I am comfortable with carrying on my FEL with forks. Puts a lot of weight on the front axle, even with 600lbs of ballast (rototiller) on the 3 point hitch. Thinking about getting a 1000 lb concrete ballast box to lighten the load on the front axle.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #24  
I went the IBC tote route as well. My issue with the homemade wooden ones were that nails and screws eventually worked their way out as the wood degraded. Those nails and screws would end up in my driveway or tractor road. Lots of tire repairs...

The only thing i'd like to do to the IBC totes is to somehow protect the bottom from moisture. I feel that eventually the galvanized will rust through.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #25  
I built wooden firewood racks so I could move them with my forks. Lasted 1 season. The 2x3 sides and top just did not hold up.

View attachment 515661
View attachment 515663

Found a guy selling IBC cages for $30, so I bought 2 season's worth so I can have 1 years supply ready to burn, and 1 seasoning for the following year. Hoping these last me for the rest of my life! Cut out an opening so you can reach in and grab the wood on the bottom.

View attachment 515664
View attachment 515665

I still use wooden pallets to keep my firewood in process off the ground until it is split and can be stacked in the IBC cages. Just picked up 2018-2019's firewood. A woman at church had 5 red oak trees taken down, and she had the tree guy cut everything in 18" rounds. She called me and asked if I could use the wood. Took home 3-4 cords worth. A real blessing!

View attachment 515668
What does IBC cage stand for?

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #26  
International bulk container, I believe.

Bruce

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #27  
International bulk container, I believe.

Bruce

Close. Intermediate bulk container. We see them all over the woods of New England as maple sap collectors. Tree farms run blue tubing from all the sugar maple trees to one of these 275 gallon (also available in 330 gallons) containers. Once full, you boil it down for hours / days and you get a few gallons of maple syrup! The food industry uses them for all sorts of liquids. They usually sell for $100-125, so when I found them at $30, I bought 20 so I could store 2 years of firewood at a time.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #28  
OK. Which brings up the question: What is a small and a large bulk container? :)

Bruce