Building our retirement home

/ Building our retirement home #11  
Congrats to you and your wife. I wish you success and happiness with your new home.

This will be my first basement - but I've always wanted one. It will include an open room for a pool table, pinball and a small bar. Next to that will be a small storage room and a bath w/shower. The best part is my media room :) :) :) The media room is fully encased in concrete, including the ceiling, and will have a triple bolt steel door - so it doubles as a giant safe room.

Thanks I am hoping for a pool table as well. God be with you as you go through all the choices you have to go through to make a house a home.

/ Building our retirement home #12  
Congrats to you and your wife. I wish you success and happiness with your new home.

This will be my first basement - but I've always wanted one. It will include an open room for a pool table, pinball and a small bar. Next to that will be a small storage room and a bath w/shower. The best part is my media room :) :) :) The media room is fully encased in concrete, including the ceiling, and will have a triple bolt steel door - so it doubles as a giant safe room.

Thanks I am hoping for a pool table as well. God be with you as you go through all the choices you have to go through to make a house a home.

/ Building our retirement home

The barn was the FIRST thing we did on the farm. I'd bought my Kioti and was driving 5 miles regularly to the property. With more toys on the way, I couldn't put this off.

The structure is a 30x50 pole barn, cement slap, 3 10' bay doors & 36" entry door, 12' interior ceiling. One of the bay doors has an automatic opener. The ceiling and walls are all blown-in insulation. Each bay has overhead lighting, electrical outlets are everywhere with 2 additional 30amp 220 drops.

Now, here's what will just kill ya'!! The building has NO POWER - lol.

For now, I backfeed a generator and it handles everything just fine. To run grid power to the site, I would be looking at nearly $10K. I've not come to a final decision on what to do long-term but I'm leaning toward a solar generator.

As you can see, we opted to finish out the inside as well.

Barn1.JPGBarn5.JPGBarn10.JPGBarn15.JPGBarn22.JPGBarn26.JPGBarn38.JPG

/ Building our retirement home
A few more pics from the driveway work this afternoon:

20150723_132714.jpg 20150723_132800.jpg

/ Building our retirement home #15  
Looking forward to watching your updates and progress. It will be nice to be on the watching end of this one instead of the building end. I've still got several loose ends to tie up with ours but what's left can be done at my own pace now. Good luck and enjoy.

/ Building our retirement home #16  
Nice barn, and being it is first, you have your priorities in order. :laughing:

Good to see you are beginning your build. I look forward to watching it come together.

/ Building our retirement home #17  
Sounds like a fantastic plan. Take lots of pix along the way.

/ Building our retirement home #18  
Since it is your retirement home, I hope you plan to make everything wheelchair accessible (just in case). 3'0" doors and wide passageways or hallways, ramps instead of stairs where possible, laundry access without stairs. Thinking ahead to old age may save some problems later. Good luck with everything!

/ Building our retirement home #19  
Since it is your retirement home, I hope you plan to make everything wheelchair accessible (just in case). 3'0" doors and wide passageways or hallways, ramps instead of stairs where possible, laundry access without stairs. Thinking ahead to old age may save some problems later. Good luck with everything!

A very good suggestion. I wish I had looked at that before buying my present property now that my knees are playing up. The stairs are a nuisance and get difficult sometimes.