Grading Bulldozing With A Box Blade

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #51  
Is the price much different? or does the design of some of them not lend itself well to locking?

As I understand it, some boxblades with the swinging rear blade do not lock at all. In fact, I think Harv's is one of those. On another thread (somewhere) we discussed the various options available to Harv for locking his rear blade, since he's welding challenged (as am I for the moment)...

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade
Not sure what it means when I wind up replying to myself, but here I go anyway:

<font color=blue>If it's too wet to boxblade</font color=blue>

Well, I just got back from the property last night, and the ground wasn't too wet ... until it thawed out.
crazy.gif
Didn't get to do any boxblading.
frown.gif

<font color=blue>I fear the area just past my first culvert will once again be too mushy to drive through</font color=blue>

Well, I'll be darned -- it was not too mushy! Seems like drainage really is a the key to road integrity. If you recall, my plan was to scrape it down, lay geotextile road fabric and then cover with coarse stone and finish with limestone crush. Money ran out, so I just did the scraping and out of desperation dug a little drainage ditch at the low spot in the hopes of minimizing the standing water, as shown in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/8-80227-MuddyRoad2.jpg>these picts</A> from November and the year before. Just one week after nearly a solid month of rain, the path had drained well enough that I could drive it easily, sinking barely more than the depth of the tire tread. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

<font color=blue>I'm also curious to see if my culverts are even still there</font color=blue>

I am pleased to report that all 3 culverts came through unscathed by the torrents that neighbors tell me came through there. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Hmmm... I think it's like having a baby -- you just can't fully appreciate the feeling until you've been through it yourself.

Circumstances and timing did not allow me to take the appropriate pictures this time. I'm so ashamed. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #53  
Glad to read you finally got to see your baby,and I hope you got a little seat time.
NO PHOTOS /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif..well okay than /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif maybe next time. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #54  
Harv,

From your photos it looks like you may have saved yourself a bunch of money on road fabric and gravel. Fine tune the drainage and you have a fine tractor trail. You might even want to seed it with grass to help hold the soil. Be a great excuse to use the rotary mower when the grass takes hold.

MarkV