Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #11  
I had an 04 with the 4.6 and it was very low on power. I wouldn't tow more than 5,000 locally and 3,000 in the hills.

My 2001 F150 (2WD, short cab/long bed) had that 4.6L Triton engine. Not a very impressive towing vehicle (rated at 7000 lb IIRC). I had a struggle towing a completely loaded twin axle Uhaul trailer plus a load in the PU bed through the Tehachpi mountains on I5 at night. Could barely do 40 mph on some of the uphills. Spent quite a few miles in the slow lane riding in the crib between a pair of 18-wheelers since it was impossible to safely pass the slow truck traffic while towing that load in the mountains.

An F150 with the 5.4L Triton engine would do a better job.

Good luck and be careful out there.

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #12  
We have had several Fords with the 4.6 at work. They are find for every day driving with maybe 800 lbs in the bed, but I can't image they would be good for towing. Its not just the engine power that will hurt towing, but the gears. Put 4.10 gears in one, and it wouldn't be to bad for towing. I don't know what kind of rear gears they come with normally, but I can't image they are any better than say a 3.55. The problem is, its expensive to swap gears on a 4x4 because you have to do the front and the back.

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #13  
So I am looking hard at a 2006 F-150 extended cab. 4.6L 4X4 AT. It has 78K and was in a fleet deal (XL but loaded). I think I will get it for between 8.5 and 9. Carl

If budget is an issue (which sounds like it is based on the idea of buying a used fleet truck <shutter>) Look for a 12 pass E350 van. I picked up an 2001 that was used by a church youth group. Had miles but not the wear and tear that fleet vans get. for $4K i paid its been worth every penny in terms of hauling stuff inside it and towing behind it.

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #15  
i have to agree with the others. if you are in the process of buying a truck.. and you KNOW you will be towing with it. buy mor ethan you need.. not less.

I got by, too many years trying to tow right at the edge of limits and being dissatisfied on many occasions. i finally bit the bullet and got bigger than I needed and now towing is an aftertought.. don't even have to think about it anymore. ( and I bought used too. )

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #16  
The issue with a TT versus any other trailer of similar weight is drag. I would not tow a TT with a 4.6. Manufactures limit frontal area for this reason

Skip the 4.6 and get a 5.4. You will regret the smaller motor.

Chris
Could not agree more go with a 5.4 motor if you can.I have a 2006 Ford F-150 super crew 4X4 with the 5.4 motor and tow package.I believe my owners manuel states 9,000 lbs max towing.coobie

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #17  
Not enough truck or engine to tow anything bigger than a popup, safely and comfortably. Even less likely that it has ample payload to carrier a truck camper that your wife will like, would need to be a very light camper.....

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #18  
i have to agree with the others. if you are in the process of buying a truck.. and you KNOW you will be towing with it. buy mor ethan you need.. not less. I got by, too many years trying to tow right at the edge of limits and being dissatisfied on many occasions. i finally bit the bullet and got bigger than I needed and now towing is an aftertought.. don't even have to think about it anymore. ( and I bought used too. )

Exactly. I bought a 2500 when I traded out my last truck (a 1500) due to mechanical issues. The 1500 was capable of doing all the towing I ever do, but only just barely, and I didn't like the feeling of white-knuckling it down the road. With the 2500, I don't really even have to think about it, because I'm only ever at 50-75% of its rated capacity. That's worth a lot to me. And if I ever do want to step up to a gooseneck, I have the option.

I also want to comment on the OP's original question about the truck being rated for 6000 lbs but what will it really do? We all know that these trucks can get away with towing and carrying more than they're rated for, but it's bad practice to actually do that very often, if ever. If you are in an accident, and are found to be overloaded, you're looking at the very least at your insurance denying your claim, and at the worst, criminal charges. I heard a story here on TBN about a commercial trucker who T-boned a person who ran a red light and killed her. The accident was 100% her fault, but because he was overloaded, he got a manslaughter conviction and went to prison.

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck #19  
and I didn't like the feeling of white-knuckling it down the road. .

yep.. it's just not fun being at 100-110% of the capabilities of your machine.

just takes a bad pothole.. or a jerlk pulling out in front of you.. or soemthing like that to make a marginal situation go all to heck in a handbasket..

/ Bunch O Questions about towing with a "new" truck
Well good news, bad news. We bought the 4.6L. I heard everyones comments, but in both cities I live in the price jump put it out of our reasonable reach. The good side is that I feel I got a very economical / solid truck that I can get a number of years out of.

The bonus is that I really do not want to pull a trailer, but would rather have a motorhome (We are looking at either a classic 73 FMC or a 73 GMC). I do want to thank you all for your thoughts and opinions. I wish the wallet had allowed for a bigger purchase but as the price jump was nearly 10K it proved to be too much.