Bung adapters?

/ Bung adapters? #11  
Because of the great size of barrels and their flat ends, they won't hold much pressure. I would say anything over 3 or 4 pounds would bulge it. Having said that, it only takes a pound of pressure to really shoot liquid from a barrel. In fact, I use a 55 gal. plastic drum with "air over diesel" to fuel my tractor. I can fill my 13 gal. tractor tank from a 1" hose and 1-2 pounds of air in about 2 minutes... and that's going up hill a little. If you could find a finely graduated air gage, say graduated in .1 PSI, you could control the pressure and be safe. If a barrel blew with less than say 3-4 psi, it would just make a swooshing sound, not a bang.

/ Bung adapters? #12  
Well, a barrel full of water is 1.5 psi or so at the bottom. Setting it down firmly on gravel would probably double that for a moment. I wouldn't be surprised if 5 or 10 psi popped a seam.

/ Bung adapters?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The barrels usually blow up when outlet gets blocked or restricted in some fashion.

Any major employer will have presurizing barrels as a no no.
)</font>

I'm only talking a few psi.. probably less psi difference than a closed tank on a hot day figuring hot air expansion.

I'm not talking about rigging it up to a high pressure system. and blowing 315 psi thru it... just enough to give some positive ventilation to the tank while it evacuates.

I also think I'll run it with the 2" bung as the outlet.. and the 3/4 as the vent / fill.

/ Bung adapters?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1" hose and 1-2 pounds of air in about 2 minutes... and that's going up hill a little. If you could find a finely graduated air gage, say graduated in .1 PSI, you could control the pressure and be safe. If a barrel blew with less than say 3-4 psi, it would just make a swooshing sound, not a bang. )</font>

I've got an air regulator and 5 psi gauge.. shouldn't be any problem to regulate at 2 psi.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Bung adapters? #15  
Soundguy, at work we have a pump that screws into a 55 gal drum bung and pressurizes the drum with air pressure. I believe it is limited to 3-4 psi (the gauge is busted, but it is a 5psi gauge). It pumps pretty good. Bought at McMaster Carr. It never hurt a steel drum, but it will bulge the top and bottom of a plastic drum.