buried post treatment,questions

/ buried post treatment,questions #11  
If you lived where I do you would set them in concrete.
Paul

/ buried post treatment,questions #12  
Not to be morbid, but it seems like trying to pick the best method in burying wood in dirt/ concrete is similar to trying to pick who's gonna get cancer & who's not. Might seem to be some logic in it, but really kind of a crap shoot.

Last edited:
   / buried post treatment,questions #13  
Got to agree with Scotty 370 and Mark V.
Wood will eventually rot when in contact with soil, the ground.
Much depends on your climate and soil conditions and the treatment of the posts.
In the old days the Utility Companies treated their Utility Poles with Creosote.
Now, it has been decided that Creosote is a cancer causing chemical.
I like the idea of concrete set in the ground, below frost line, with the Post bearing on the concrete, above grade.
That is how we build Decks (in the Frost Belt).
Pole Barns ,even my own ,was built with treated posts, set 4ft into the ground, bearing on precast concrete "Disks" about 18" in diameter.
We will see how they hold up.
Lots of opinions.
I do not like concrete, "encapsulation" or anything that holds moisture to the Posts. Just my opinion......

/ buried post treatment,questions #14  
Last one I was involved with we dug below frost, 4" layer of 3/4" crushed stone, 12" patio stone pad (just below frost level), then 6x6 pressure treated timber surrounded by fine stone. When finished we poured used engine oil in each hole around the posts.....

/ buried post treatment,questions #15  
I'm going to be a bit contrary here , and thank the guys who built my 300 year old house and barn . Needless to say, everything that touches the ground is rock, and not wood. I would hesitate to build any structure that is only estimated to last for a mere 30 years . I won't be around, but another owner will , and I'd like to think that he'll thank me for building a durable and potentially historic structure.

/ buried post treatment,questions #16  
William- Granite pillars, are not in everyone's budget. We, or at least I, just do the best we can. ~Scotty