Bush Hog 1846QT Hydraulics Reseal & Fluid Replace

/ Bush Hog 1846QT Hydraulics Reseal & Fluid Replace #1  

Banochris

Tractor
Kubota L245
Hey there all,

I just picked up an old Kubota L245 with a Bush Hog 1846QT FEL. According to the original spec sheet, the cylinders are Ognibene & Hol-Mac - 1.5 inch Bore, 15.0 inch Stroke Double Acting Cylinder, 1” rod, 9/16 - 18 SAE ORB. The Seal kits are supposed to be Bush Hog Part# 25H41702. I haven't taken one off yet because I wanted to gather all the info I could before potentially getting stuck. Do I need a special tool to get the nylon ring on or do I just need to be careful about putting it on as straight as possible?

Thanks

/ Bush Hog 1846QT Hydraulics Reseal & Fluid Replace #2  
Are you talking about the white backup ring?

/ Bush Hog 1846QT Hydraulics Reseal & Fluid Replace
Hey there TractorTech,

Yes. The one on the end of the piston that wraps around the aluminum ring. I figured out there are actually 2 seals, the black rubber one is under the white one. I was able to get them all rebuilt, and I've got them back on the FEL. Still need to fill it with hydraulic fluid and check for leeks.

What I did was put it on by hand as carefully as I could, but it still stretched a little. so I put a bunch of popsicle sticks around it, then wrapped a hose clamp around them. Then I just tightened it a little to press it back to original shape. It worked like a champ and the piston went right into the cylinder. When I get the hydraulic fluid in and fire it up, I suppose I'll know immediately if t=it worked. :)

Thanks again,
Monty

/ Bush Hog 1846QT Hydraulics Reseal & Fluid Replace #4  
You know what you’re doing! Basically the hose clamp is sufficient to squeeze it back down.
Putting them on “as carefully as I could” is what you do.

/ Bush Hog 1846QT Hydraulics Reseal & Fluid Replace
Finished the repairs and it runs great with ZERO leaks! Just like TractorTech said "Take your time and be careful."

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Monty