Bush Hog 4ft or5ft

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #1  

don716

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ B7500/with 2000 lb winch
I have a B7500 with 21hp and it pulls my 4ft hog fine but I would like to go to a 5ft if I knew it would work it ok.The 4ft really don't stick out past the tires and I know a 5ft would.Does anyone have a 5ft on theirs? I don't cut alot of big stuff with it. I have a pretty good size field I like to bush hog once or twice a year and the 4ft one just takes a long time to get done.
Donny

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #2  
A 5 footer might be a little heavy for your tractor.Powerwise,you might be OK,but the weight of the implement would be my concern.

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #3  
Donny,

I have a 7510 and bought it with a Woods BB48 cutter.... and soon discovered that I wanted a larger cutter for the same reasons you have.

I bought a 5' Howse economy cutter which is only used for mowing around my pond areas and I have not had a problem using it on my 7510. I have a loader on my 7510 and only use the cutter with the loader attached.

The Woods BB48 weighs 506lbs, and the Howse 5' weighs 507lbs according to their websites.

I also try not to let the field/pasture areas around my ponds get to high before I use the cutter.

This has worked for me, but I am careful using it, and understand the hazards of using a cutter bigger than Kubota reccomends.

Stu

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #4  
Look at the lightest duty models of the brands you are considering, a 5' in the same price/quality/duty level of build will not weigh much more. As PSD has found, differing brands will sometimes yield differing big differences. One thing to make note of; usually a foot wider cut rotary may add the entire extra foot plus a longer tailwheel arm/wheel assy all to the total length at the rear, which means you may need an extra front weight even if the total weights are close.

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #5  
I have seen people using 5' cutters on smaller tractors then the 7510. If the grass gets too big just take a "smaller bite". As it was mentioned before leave the loader on while cutting, but I guess you know the drill with that.

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #6  
i looked into this (may have even posted a thread) for my B7100. I forget what hp it has but it's about 18 or 19hp i think. from feedback i got it would be best to go with a 4 foot. but that's considering i have extreme grades to back up and some heavy brush.

i have a 5 foot belly mower and it cuts the fields just fine.

if you were closer i'd be interested in that 4footer. don't think any of my georgia friends can cram it in their cars!

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #7  
Keep the top link disconnected so you don't have to lift it. It should work if you keep it mowed down.

Rob

/ Bush Hog 4ft or5ft #8  
Looking at the Bush Hog Squealer brochure; (newer slopeback models) the 4' is listed @ 455lbs, and the 5' is showing 636lbs so that particular model has a large jump in weight. I presume these weights are as "standard equipment" with non laminated tailwheel, and the front rubber strip and rear bolt on band, which some dealers delete when the units are ordered. The 5' does step up to a 65hp gearbox, but has the same gauge steel. The Razorback model in the 5' size weighs 450lbs with lighter 11ga steel deck and sides, uses a 40hp gearbox, and 3/8 x3 blades versus the Squealers 1/2 x 4. Extra HP is always nice with a larger cutter, but I think a lot of manufacturers rate the cutters as they do partially to prevent folks from overloading the tractor weightwise and having an accident from the tail wagging the dog syndrome. As said above, just take a smaller bite, or just drive the tractor slower at a high PTO speed, and if it takes a little longer in the tall stuff, so be it. I would order/buy the cutter with a slip clutch vs the shearbolt, and set the clutch a little looser than as shipped the help protect the tractor driveline. A friend of mine was teaching his 15yo son to use cutter, and had been doing good for a while, but for some reason he started tractor up after a water break, set PRM's at max (??) in neutral, engaged PTO, and at the same time let his wet boot slip off the clutch. Someone had replaced the soft grade 2 shearbolt with a grade 5 and it broke the yoke, but it could have been the tractor. For that reason I would not ever consider another cutter without a slip clutch, especially on one where the cutter may be on the large side. I don't think you will have any problem with the larger cutters, just don't over do it, good luck.