Bush Hog chisel plow

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I bought an old Bush Hog brand 10 point chisel plow today. The seller lifted it up onto my trailer with his Ford 4000, at an idle. My poor little JD 855 could not lift it whole. It was able to lift an end and drag it off the trailer, without scratching the trailer much. I need to get it hooked up and raised up and then some new chisel points. Bald 14" tires - may need to address them too. My Allis D-17 will get the field duty. Cat two, 3 point mount. Heavy sucker...

Why are there "left" and "right" chisel points? This has some going in either direction. How are they designated? Up and to the left, as sitting in the tractor = "Left"? Fleet Farm has both. At lest two are broke off, one is bent bad (and thinner than the others). I think I need 4, and some "real" plow bolts.

Points.jpg

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #2  
IMG_5918.png

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #3  
Agri supply has points and bolts. Measure yours. Could be like 11"x2"

Or 10"x3" etc. No left or right on these.

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #4  
The angled points will roll the dirt and I believe they pull a bit easier. Also if you have any rocks they will roll with the dirt and not just break the u bolts. When you get your points you may want to order a couple of sets of u bolts also.

/ Bush Hog chisel plow
Thanks. Farm & Fleet has lefts, but no rights, (made in USA!) and lots of correct plow bolts. My points are 3" wide, 1/2" thick, and use the 1/2" bolts. Should they all be the same (all left or all right)?

Fought with it yesterday to get it connected. My D-17 wouldn't lift it. I pulled the back row wings and chisels off, late (probably lost 300 pounds). I now have spares, at least. I will try it again today, and may start cutting unused/unneeded frame to lighten it, if it's still too heavy.
:mad:
I did get my 5' disc mounted behind the D-17, so that was a plus for the day.

Last edited:
   / Bush Hog chisel plow #6  
Using a combination of left and right will get you a more level surface. Using just one style it will behave similar to a moldboard plow and and move the soil to the left or right, giving you dead furrows and back furrows.

From the all knowing internet; :)
Horsepower requirement for chisel plows is 12 to 15 HP per shank. Differences in soil hardness depends on soil type and moisture. Chisel plows tend to pull a little easier than moldboard plows.
!0 Hp per shank is usually doable in your lower gears.

5 shanks on you D-17 should be doable you may end up covering the ground twice once at 3-5 inches and a second time at 5-8 inches depending on your needs and wants and the ground condition.

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #7  
Back i in the 70-80s I would see these behind an IH 986/1086 size (100 HP) to go deeper than the moldboard plow the chisel would be used as a subsoiler effectively. Not sure what the best practices are today on this with all the no-till planters etc.

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #8  
I think HP rules are generalizations and very dependent on what your local soil conditions are vs what another person may say.

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #9  
That is probably too big for the D-17.
That is a lot of plow to drag through the ground.

/ Bush Hog chisel plow #10  
Now you're thinking. See, now you have to go buy a tractor to pull your new chisel plow. You need at least 100 HP. I pull a 7 point that has longer shanks with my 100 HP and it's all it wants. You don't have anything listed up there that can even touch that thing.