Bush hog for TC29D

/ Bush hog for TC29D #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a TC29D that I use for finish mowing and I want to get a bush hog for it also. With the finish mower (which has high lift blades) on flat ground I can mow in 2nd range at pretty much full speed, but when I'm going up hill the tractor will loose PTO speed unless I slow down some. I was planning to get a 5' bush hog (probably a King Kutter model L-60-40-P) and most of the areas I will be using it in are fairly flat. I'm going to be mowing thick grass and some brush. Do any of you use a TC29D with a 5' bush hog? If so, how well does it handle it?

/ Bush hog for TC29D #2  
25 HP should be adequate to handle a standard duty 5 ft rotary cutter (Bush Hog). You can make quite a difference by setting the tilt of the mower. Low in front takes less hp than flat front and back.

/ Bush hog for TC29D #3  
Danny Y, I'm a Kubota owner myself, but I have a cousin (named Danny) who has a TC29 and a 5' Bush Hog Squealer, and I was there when the salesman delivered it and demonstrated it by mowing down 2 inch saplings. And of course, I use a 5' Howse behind a Kubota B2710. You have plenty of tractor for a 5' brush hog, even if if is blue./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Bush hog for TC29D #4  
Bird,

I believe you meant "especially because it is Blue"! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Actually, since it's Blue, it would probably handle one twice that size but we don't want Green and Orange tractor owners to feel totally underpowered! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Funny thing happened overnight here, gas prices shot up 16 cents a gallon from $1.49 to $1.65 for 87 octane regular unleaded! Guess they have to make some extra money off the holiday weekend!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Bush hog for TC29D #5  
The last gasoline we bought was $1.359, but it's been 12 days, so no telling what it is now. Doesn't it always go up a bit just as summer vacations are starting?/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Bush hog for TC29D
Thanks for your help. The gas prices here in Columbus, IN went up overnight from 1.47 to 1.56 for 87 Oct. Fortunately, I filled up my truck (which has a 34 gal tank) on Wed. I'm sure it's just pure coincidence that the prices went up just before the first big holiday of the summer! The bad news for me is that we're heading for MI this weekend and the prices up there are usually 5 to 10 cents higher!

/ Bush hog for TC29D #7  
You guys ar still getting off cheap! Here in SE Wisconsin the 87 octane has been at $1.729 for over a week and they are talking about it going to over $2 soon and maybe even shortages. We have to burn one of the RFG types and they are claiming there is a shortage of the some of the ingredents. Plus they need to shut down the main gasoline pipeline to this area for maintance. I guess I should be glad I wasn't planning to get to my cabin much this year. Just have to keep doing tractor work around the homestead!
A safe and and happy Memorial Weekend to all!
DaveB

/ Bush hog for TC29D #8  
Danny, I'm using a 5' Woods rotary cutter (XT-60) with my TC25D. The tractor barely groans when going up steep grades. The only time I know Blue is getting serious, is when I run a 55" roto tiller at it's deepest setting. How do you know you are losing PTO speed? Does the 540rpm light actually go out?

/ Bush hog for TC29D
Yes, the 540rpm light goes out. The hill I'm talking about is a long grade. The grass on one side of the hill is thick and about half way up if I don't let up some on the hydrostat pedal, the light goes out. I don't have to slow down much to get the light to come back on. I'm not sure what's working the tractor more, the hill or the grass.

Does your Woods XT-60 leave a windrow or does it distribute the cut grass evenly? I've noticed that most bush hogs leave a windrow, but every once in a while I'll see a field where it doesn't, but I don't know what type of mowers do and don't leave the grass all in a row.

/ Bush hog for TC29D #10  
Danny: I used my TC33D to bush hog my pasture for the first time last weekend. I used a 5' cheap (KK) rotary cutter. A few times the 540 rpm light would go off; usually when choking on some saplings but a couple of times chewing grass uphill. I stayed in the 2nd hydrostat range the entire time and almost never had it at full throttle because that usually lit the 600 rpm overspeed light. Having the throttle about 80% of the way up corresponded to a tach. reading of around 2500 rpm. My steepest incline might touch 15 deg. but 100 yards of 10 degrees is probably a more realisic 'load' estimate. It was easy to tell that the hydrostat worked harder going uphill. A simple test is to reduce the width of cut. Now that I've got most of the saplings butchered, I'm quite confident I could comfortably pull a 6' through what will now be grass. That's actually one reason I bought a cheap 5' to begin with - I can change my mind next year without too much pain!