Rotary Cutter Bush hog hp requirements

/ Bush hog hp requirements #11  
Z-Michigan said:
Based on my experience to date I think this is a good rule of thumb. I have 8 PTO hp per foot (6 ft cutter and 47 PTO hp) and I find that this setup is massively overpowered.

i'm strongly considering this same setup with my next tractor purchase. i think i'm gonna buy a medium duty cutter. have you ran into any problems with your setup as it is?

/ Bush hog hp requirements #12  
I have run into 0 problems since I got my LX6 corrected (the blade pan had been damaged somewhere in shipment, but with help from TBN I noted this before ever using it and got it fixed under warranty).

I think an MX6 or Woods equivalent would be a good match. Also, a 7' lift cutter or 8' pull type cutter should be fully within the 5105 capabilities if you want something larger. I have the horsepower to mow at 10mph in 6th gear. Unfortunately this bounces me out of my seat and doesn't do much in the way of effective work. YMMV.

/ Bush hog hp requirements #13  
Z-Michigan said:
Based on my experience to date I think this is a good rule of thumb. I have 8 PTO hp per foot (6 ft cutter and 47 PTO hp) and I find that this setup is massively overpowered.

Obviously, you need to cut bigger stuff....

jb

/ Bush hog hp requirements
Thanks for all the great advice. Now I will have some good background before I get to the dealer.
Dennis

/ Bush hog hp requirements #15  
art said:
The type of transmission also changes the requirements a bit as a hydro gives more flexibility.
And needs more HP.

/ Bush hog hp requirements #16  
It needs 5 PTO hp or more per foot. There are many variables. 5 HP doesn't do a good job with the type of mowing that I do even though I know that it would for many.

/ Bush hog hp requirements #17  
The 5hp per ft rule of thumb is more or less a minimum requirement. Take in to consideration what conditions you're mowing in. Hills? Heavy grass/weeds? Brush? I mow with 40hp/6' 47hp/6', 60hp/7', and 95hp/15'.(all pto hp's) All 4 have seen conditions where they meet there match. In MOST conditions they cruise effortlessly. Over-kill is better than underpowered. You don't have to use every speck of power a tractor produces, but not enough power is hard to overcome.

HP relates to physical size of the tractor to a certain degree. An often overlooked aspect is how a tractor handles the weight of a certain mower. Heavy duty mowers are usually HEAVY....Comparable width requires bigger tractor (hence "more power") from light duty to heavy duty.

Last edited:
   / Bush hog hp requirements #18  
dennis5150 said:
Is there a general rule for how much pto hp is needed for various sizes of bush hog type rotary mowers? I will be needing to cut tall (2-3ft) grass hay, lots of blackberry bushes , small diameter saplings. Am I going to need at least 25hp, or will 18 to 20 work? Any advice is appreciated.

I have a Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) and a 4-ft King Kutter hog for my 7-8 acres of weeds on my 10-acre parcel. It handles 3 ft weeds OK if I mow slow in low gear (about an hour per acre). Don't have blackberry bushes or saplings so I can't help you there.

/ Bush hog hp requirements #19  
My experience, while far less than many here, is the "5HP/FT" rule of thumb is pretty meaningless out of context. I'm running a 72" behind my 3130HST, and it works just fine. At 24 PTO HP, that's only 4HP/FT.

That being said...I've got little more than rough field grass/weeds to mow. The brush I do have is pretty small - rarely more than 1.5". I also never mow when wet. In these conditions, even on hills, I can easily cut through 5' tall material at 5MPH.

Some may consider the above conditions optimal or rare...but for me, and possibly others, they are the norm.

/ Bush hog hp requirements #20  
How many here have actually bogged down a rotary cutter? I've read tht 5 HP per foot "rule" for quite a while, but have read of few folks that had issues with their cutters.
First year I had my 5' cutter, it was operated behind a 16 PTO HP tractor. That's less the 4 PTO HP per foot. I had no problems...just use common sense when you operate the unit.