3-Point Hitch Bush hog lift height

/ Bush hog lift height
jeff9366 said:
If you call King Kutter I am sure they will give you instructions on how to drain the gearbox.

Personally, I just add 90 weight gear oil when it is low....like once a year.

There is no internal combustion on a mower, unlike a car engine; gear oil seems to lubricate forever.

Someone may contradict me immediately but I have never heard of a rotary mower owner actually CHANGING the oil.

I sell heavy equipment and can say that not changelingthe oil in any gear box can easily cut its life in half. The gear box could still outlive the mower, just depends on design

/ Bush hog lift height #12  
My new 5530 only lifts my 5' mower about18 inches off the ground. Is this normal for a mahindra? I have only owned an old Ford 3000 previously and would lift the same mower much higher

First of all you have a pretty big tractor for that mower. Make sure the upper stop on the position control lever is set all the way up. If your 3PH geometry is correct, it should lift the mower level from lower position to upper position, but shortening the top link would lift the tail of the mower higher but may cause problems with the lower position when mowing.

/ Bush hog lift height #13  
If I read every post correctly, the OP has exhausted his options. The top link is as short as it will go, no option to position the pin on the tractor as only has one hole, lift arm adjustment is as high as it will go. Only option to get more lift would be tobuy a shorter top link. A Cat1 top link should be shorter than a Cat 2. TSC should have some of various lengths. I would measure the one you have and go buy one a couple inches shorter but dont get too carried away and get it too short.

/ Bush hog lift height
Gary Fowler said:
If I read every post correctly, the OP has exhausted his options. The top link is as short as it will go, no option to position the pin on the tractor as only has one hole, lift arm adjustment is as high as it will go. Only option to get more lift would be tobuy a shorter top link. A Cat1 top link should be shorter than a Cat 2. TSC should have some of various lengths. I would measure the one you have and go buy one a couple inches shorter but dont get too carried away and get it too short.

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has responded.
I tried to use the cat1 top link from my Ford 3000 and is way too short. I saw an extra long cat1 at TSC. I will try that. Yes, the tractor can accommodate a much larger mower. Having just purchased the tractor I will have to make this one work until I can afford another. I have a neighbor that has a smaller Mahindra and that one does the same thing. So I guess the question is, does anyone have a Mahindra that lifts a mower higher than 18 inches? I find it hard to believe that the tractor design does not allow for a higher lift but that is a possibility.

/ Bush hog lift height #15  
like LAWALLS TRACTOR already stated there is no use in buying a shorter top link that only changes the angle not actual height of entire implement.

I have a 6 foot mower for my 5530 w/ cat 1 hookups and it lifts it plenty high. Do you have your bottom links adjusted all the way up?
Like a previous post mentioned take a few pics and we can see if something is amiss

/ Bush hog lift height #16  
I also have a 5530 and it lifts my bush hog 286 without any problem. As others have suggested make sure the adjustable lift links shortened fully to maximize your lift.

/ Bush hog lift height #17  
If you call King Kutter I am sure they will give you instructions on how to drain the gearbox.

Personally, I just add 90 weight gear oil when it is low....like once a year.

There is no internal combustion on a mower, unlike a car engine; gear oil seems to lubricate forever.

Someone may contradict me immediately but I have never heard of a rotary mower owner actually CHANGING the oil.

I only do it when it becomes contaminated with water due to a leaky vent which usually occurs each winter. In other words it gets changed about once per year.

/ Bush hog lift height
I will take pics to tomorrow. I really appreciate everyone's help

/ Bush hog lift height
Well, I found my problem, it was ME! If you have ever seen a Mahindra cat 2 top link, it has a locking device shaped some what like a star. It has 3 11/2 inch prongs extending out to allow you to lock the top link at the desired thread length. One of these prongs was wedging itself against a spacer in the yoke assembly keeping the bush hog from raising.
Thank all of you again for your help.