Bush hog maintenance

/ Bush hog maintenance #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
Brother in law wanted me to sharpen his bush hog blades so I had him bring it over yesterday afternoon so I could work on it early this morning. I started work at 6 am on it. (PLEASE ON SAFETY POLICE) I used my LS P7010 FEL to lift it up on its side with it tilted slightly back toward the tractor with intention of removing the blades to sharpen them. I let it tilt toward the tractor just in case the impossible happened and something caused the FEL to fall that way it would fall away from me.

I couldn't get any of the nuts to turn using my 650 ft # impact or with breaker bar and 4 foot cheater, so I decided I would have to sharpen them in place. It was easier than I thought once I figured out how to hold the blades in place. I put my socket with extension on the blade nut from top side so it wouldn't turn, locked a large vise grip to the blade so it stayed horizontal and using my Harbor Freight 9" grinder, it only took a couple of minutes per blade to but a lawnmower style cutting edge. Neither of us use or shredders for cutting anything other than grass so they need to be sharp for an easier cut.

When finished with blade sharpening, I noticed that one of the 3 PH lift pins was very loose and wobbly. I tried to tightened it with impact but no luck. I then tried to remove it with impact and no luck. I had to use a grinder to cut the pin to remove it. I had some Cat. 1 pins that I no longer use, so I put one in for him.

Then I noticed that oil had been leaking around the gear box front end. Upon closer look, all the bolts were really loose and further inspection returned missing two of the bottom bolts. After some furtive searching of my bolt collection, I finally found a way to make two 3/8" x 1" bolts out of a 2 1/2" bolt and two nuts. I cut the long bolt to the correct length for one of the needed bolts, then using the short stud remaining, I used two nuts to make a looking head for the other 1" bolt needed. That worked out just right on the length.

After getting all the bolts tighten / replaced, I checked the oil and nothing came out so I put in about a pint 80W-90 gear oil before it started coming out the level indication hole. I hope it wasn't low enough to burn up his gears. The box didn't seem to have any slack in it when I shook it so maybe I caught it in time.

My good deed of the day was completed by 8am and now just waiting for the dew to dry off so I can start working on my project-- mowing my 6 acre yard. Its supposed to hit 98F today so I might have to break this up into a couple of days of late afternoon work.

/ Bush hog maintenance #2  
& so will you cut the bolts off next time? at some point they'll need to be removed. glad it went smoothly:thumbsup:

/ Bush hog maintenance #3  
You too huh? Funny how all my 10 minute job turns into 2 hours, plus another 1/2 hour putting away the 57 tools, chains, cheater bars that I somehow hauled out, when all the job was suppose to take was a screwdriver!

/ Bush hog maintenance
& so will you cut the bolts off next time? at some point they'll need to be removed. glad it went smoothly:thumbsup:
If he ever has to replace the blades, my fire axe will take those off pretty fast. It is fairly new and the blades were not that dull so he has plenty of life left as long as one doesn't break or something. The blades still are fairly tight in the swivel on the bolt so very little wear to the bolt either. It will likely outlast him and I and be sold as a property disposal after we are gone.

/ Bush hog maintenance
You too huh? Funny how all my 10 minute job turns into 2 hours, plus another 1/2 hour putting away the 57 tools, chains, cheater bars that I somehow hauled out, when all the job was suppose to take was a screwdriver!
RIGHT ON THE MARK. Any job takes 4 times as many tools as you originally haul out.

/ Bush hog maintenance #6  
I don't know about you guys but all those tools usually end up piled on my work bench because I want to be doing something else with whatever is I just fixed .

/ Bush hog maintenance #7  
I had trouble with our BushHog 286 getting the bolts out to change the blades. First I tried my 3/4" old impact using a 6" extension and socket. Nothing doing. I need a 1/2" air hose to supply it because the 3/8" air hose won't supply enough air. Next, I tried a 30" 3/4" drive breaking bar with a piece of EMT about 3 feet long on that. It laughed at me after I bent the EMT. Not having any heavy pipe handy, I let the air compressor charge up to max, got a shorter 3/8" hose, and took out the 6" extension. Just impact and socket (which barely reached through the access hole). At first it wouldn't break free so I let the compressor recharge and I put the impact on "tighten" and hit it a couple of seconds and then put it on reverse and voila! Success. Anti sieze is good stuff, so I put a little on for the next time. I should have put it on the last time. BTW, I am planning on getting a 1/2" air hose and quick disconnect couplers next time I'm at harbor freight.

/ Bush hog maintenance
I had trouble with our BushHog 286 getting the bolts out to change the blades. First I tried my 3/4" old impact using a 6" extension and socket. Nothing doing. I need a 1/2" air hose to supply it because the 3/8" air hose won't supply enough air. Next, I tried a 30" 3/4" drive breaking bar with a piece of EMT about 3 feet long on that. It laughed at me after I bent the EMT. Not having any heavy pipe handy, I let the air compressor charge up to max, got a shorter 3/8" hose, and took out the 6" extension. Just impact and socket (which barely reached through the access hole). At first it wouldn't break free so I let the compressor recharge and I put the impact on "tighten" and hit it a couple of seconds and then put it on reverse and voila! Success. Anti sieze is good stuff, so I put a little on for the next time. I should have put it on the last time. BTW, I am planning on getting a 1/2" air hose and quick disconnect couplers next time I'm at harbor freight.
I suppose if I had no choice but to remove the blade bolts, I would have put more effort into it, but after the impact and a bit of strain on the 4 foot cheater to no effect, I just found it easier to grind in place. I could have put on some heat, penetrant oil, longer cheater etc if I really had to get it off.
Too bad the gear box bolts didn't seize up like that. I am sure the only oil in the box was what was in the vertical shaft housing that was below the front plate bottom elevation. He used it yesterday and it makes a little WOW<WOW noise like an improperly shimmed gear in the rear end on a truck.

/ Bush hog maintenance #9  
Even with the noise it should run a long time at 540rpm

/ Bush hog maintenance #10  
I just sharpened mine. I put all I thought my 3/4 rachet could stand on a 6 ft. cheater.Put the torch on it and got em off.Had it made then..wrong...with a sledge hammer and smaller diameter pin I beat and sprayed and beat and sprayed and finally got the pins out being careful not to bugger up the bolt end...wrong... I put the bolts in a vice and carefully run the nuts back down 2 or 3 times to get em back right.The easy part was sharpening the blades till the grinder fell off the table and broke the only disc for my big grinder. Went to my buddy's shop to use his big grinder and got stung in a wasp nest under the table outside. Sure hope they stay sharp a while. Good luck to ya