Bush Hog mod question

/ Bush Hog mod question #11  
very well done & attn to detail

/ Bush Hog mod question #12  
I'm thinking a small coverplate for the blade nut removal hole. I never thought of doing that on my BH286, but the top side of the stump jumper on mine also builds up debris and them gets rainwater in there through the hole. Good idea!

/ Bush Hog mod question #13  
I'm thinking a small coverplate for the blade nut removal hole. I never thought of doing that on my BH286, but the top side of the stump jumper on mine also builds up debris and them gets rainwater in there through the hole. Good idea!

just make a quick removable plug for each side of access hole after use each time if you're concerned. sure, some kind of sliding/bolted cover might work, but moisture will find it's way through anyway..... come on, wouldn't the manufacturer provide if necessary? use it during season, cover or garage during winter. mike 9: when blades were solidly rusted to the jumper from original seller, doesn't that seem like long tern neglect/lack of use rather than design fault? from your pics, you've done a great job to bring it to useful life again. personally, don't see how a small amt of moisture could make a big difference in the integrity of the jumper within our lifetimes. but only imho

/ Bush Hog mod question
You're right it was neglected by the previous owners. For instance the tail boom was chock full of decomposed hickory nuts as was the stump jump pan. Freakin' squirrels can wreak havoc with equipment. When I rebuilt the front of the tractor last fall I removed a mouse nest the size of a football from behind the dash panel. I store it and the tiller under cover and park my tractor in my garage - I know . . . "you know you're a red neck when . . . " LOL.

Here are before and after tractor pics -

Before - my son and grandson taking for a spin after arrival.
Before1_zpsz7kqnlzw.jpg

During -
After1_zps8hofuyao.jpg
IMG_20151205_152408_zpsmj2e1vtk.jpg

And today -
IMG_20160914_152258_zpscpeiovjs.jpg
IMG_20160914_152437_zpswb2rk1r1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bush Hog mod question #16  
Is there any downside to drilling a couple of drain holes in the pan of my Bush Hog SQ48? When I took it apart because the blades were rusted to the pan the top of the pan was full of crud and of course rust. Anyone try this? I was also thinking of fab'ing a cover plate for the blade access hole to keep water out.

I cut a 6x 18" hole in the top of my Hawkline 6 ft hog to make blade sharpening easier. The piece removed became the bolt-on cover.

IMG_3780 (Medium).JPGIMG_3781 (Medium).JPG

Works fine.

Good luck

/ Bush Hog mod question #18  
I assume it is to sharpen the blades in place. Personally I'd never sharpen my rotary cutter bars. Sharp blades mean sharp stumps when you are cutting brush & I prefer my tires unpunctured.

/ Bush Hog mod question #19  
I'm coming up on about 10 years on my hog and figure it might be about due for its first "touch-up".

/ Bush Hog mod question
My boom pole paid for itself again today. I lowered the 'hog with it then found the balance point with chain and lifted it up then laid three skids on blocks under it and let'er down. I love that thing!! With this weeks forecast I might get this finished by the weekend.

IMG_20161016_155334_zpssyfkt1cw.jpg