BUSH HOG or RHINO?

/ BUSH HOG or RHINO? #31  
I got a Rhino 172,, that thing is a beast compared to my old Rhino SE5,, so far so good, it dose have a whole lot better rear tire set up than the SE5 this one has bearings and zert fittings, the hitches are alot better. I like the domed top to it, not much stay on it. I keep the RPMs at 1400-1500 I can cut thur Texas sage pretty easy. I power it with a L4400DT. I have boged it down a few times going thur some pretty heavy brush. Generally in 2nd gear High range for brush and 3rd high for grass fields and coastal grass. The only issue I have had with it is that I couldnt pick it up high enough to clear my trailer rails. Had to make some blocks to drive up on to make the tractor higher there for I could clear the rails, then I just lower the deck on the rails and Im good to go. I dont think the underside skirt is going to last to long before I have to weld in some 1/2in plate 4in wide. They got to know that the front part of the mower is going to be more or less draging from time to time.

/ BUSH HOG or RHINO? #32  
I have a 286 and a 6ft squealer (2008 model). There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The Squealer is desgined to cut mostly grass with some light duty 1-2" sapling work. It however cuts grass very very well. Now my 286 doesn't cut grass as well (still does ok though) due to lower blade tip speed but it handles the bigger stuff better for sure. So if your cutting mostly grass then the squealer is the way to go. If not a medium duty unit is a must in order for the cutter to last.

/ BUSH HOG or RHINO? #33  
Thanks FWJ, Gizmo and others. I didn't know you could run a cutter on a tractor that has less horse power than what the cutter is recommended for.

In my opinion, from the brochures I have, the Rhino rotary cutters look to be heavier built than the Bush Hog brand. I am looking at the Bush Hog models SQ172 (standard duty), and the 296 (medium duty). The Rhino models I am looking at are the 172 (standard duty), and the 272 (medium duty).

If my tractor can handle the Bush Hog 296, or the Rhino 272, then I'll probably "bite the bullet" and get one of those medium duty models. I just hope my 231 Massey Ferguson can handle them as far as lifting the cutter and turning without the rear wheels loosing traction ( I am one of those people who drags the front of the cutter on the ground so it will cut closer- whether its right or wrong!). Its a lot of money to pay for a cutter and have the tractor not like it, if you know what I mean.

From the information I've been gathering, more people says go with the Bush Hog brand than the Rhino. I AM WONDERING WHY? Looking at the specs and the pictures in my brochures, the Rhino looks like its better built. BUT I HAVEN'T GOT PRICES ON ANYTHING YET AND PRICE WILL BE A DECIDING FACTOR.

What are common "problems" on the Rhino cutters? Do they have gearbox troubles?

I've always been a Bush Hog fan, but after looking at the Rhino brand- its a tuff decision.

Thanks so much,
Travis R

Travis,

You have the duty rating incorrect. The Rhino 172 is medium duty and the 272 is actually their heavy duty. Comparing these specs to Bush Hog 286 or 296 medium duty cutters its very obvious that the BH brand is made heavier. The Squealer line is also a little heavier than the RB line of Rhino and is close to even their medium duty 172 line. Lastly there is no other manufacture that can provide the level of parts and service as Bush Hog does which helps determine a better manufacture. Both are good i'm sure but i think considering all these factors BH brand ends up on top.

/ BUSH HOG or RHINO? #35  
saw tooth you do realize this post is 5 years old.

No but thats what i get for trying to use my Iphone and post stuff. :) thanks