bush hog question

/ bush hog question #1  

diamond45

Tractor
massey ferguson model 135
Purchased a Model 305 Bush Hog years ago along with a 135MF tractor. Recently, the lower shaft on the bush hog broke. I was told I needed to purchase a lower shaft kit for the Model 305. I assumed the kit would include seals, bearings, etc. to repair the bush hog. When the "kit" arrived it included only the shaft, two (2) nuts and one (1) lock washer. What else do I need to buy to complete this repair?

/ bush hog question #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs Forum. :)

/ bush hog question #4  
Purchased a Model 305 Bush Hog years ago along with a 135MF tractor. Recently, the lower shaft on the bush hog broke. I was told I needed to purchase a lower shaft kit for the Model 305. I assumed the kit would include seals, bearings, etc. to repair the bush hog. When the "kit" arrived it included only the shaft, two (2) nuts and one (1) lock washer. What else do I need to buy to complete this repair?

As mentioned, welcome!

You'll probably want new bearings and the lower seal. If old bearings are easily removed, and appear to be in good shape, you can probably get away with reusing them. I would NOT attempt to reuse the seal for any reason. CAREFULLY examine INPUT shaft (pinion gear) for ANY signs of wear. It's not usually a good practice to mate a worn gear to a new gear surface. If no obvious wear, I'd chance it though. Don't forget new oil....Some people use 85/90wt gear oil. I use 140wt oil in my gear boxes. If seals seep ANY, drain and refill with JD "corn head grease" (available @ John Deere dealers)

305's are a tough mower. What did it take to break the output shaft?

/ bush hog question #5  
snapper dealers also sell a 00 ep grease.. that and the 0ep cornhead are good to have on hand!

soundguy

/ bush hog question
As mentioned, welcome!

You'll probably want new bearings and the lower seal. If old bearings are easily removed, and appear to be in good shape, you can probably get away with reusing them. I would NOT attempt to reuse the seal for any reason. CAREFULLY examine INPUT shaft (pinion gear) for ANY signs of wear. It's not usually a good practice to mate a worn gear to a new gear surface. If no obvious wear, I'd chance it though. Don't forget new oil....Some people use 85/90wt gear oil. I use 140wt oil in my gear boxes. If seals seep ANY, drain and refill with JD "corn head grease" (available @ John Deere dealers)

305's are a tough mower. What did it take to break the output shaft?
I was mowing pasture down and heard a pop. I didn't hit anything and haven't cut and brush, etc. in a couple of years. The break was so clean it looked like it was cut with a saw.

/ bush hog question #8  
I had the same thing happen on my Brown 472. Make sure your blades are not locked up and swivel freely (full rotation). The shoulder bolts were too tight and restricted blade movement. This creates an out of balance, that will place a lot of stress on the gear box.