Bush hog size

/ Bush hog size #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
Ok the book says I can pull a 42" hog with my bx1800 but 48" cost a lot less and are easier to find used. So do you guys think that 6" will be a big deal?

/ Bush hog size #2  
chucko
The Bush Hog SQ480 is a good fit on the larger BX series tractors because you can change the lower 3 pt. mounting pins to the inside position and make hooking up a lot easier. We sell quite a few with that set up. You will need to check drive line length though. Hope this helps.
Lewis

/ Bush hog size
Well when I said bush hog I ment field mower, brush cutter, whatever. I am looking for/at used so it may not be a "hog" brand cutter.
You say you sell a lot of the 48's so I assume you mean they don't lug down the tractor too much with it only being a 18hp tractor

/ Bush hog size #4  
Chucko,
I run a 4' rotary cutter on my 18hp Yanmar and my father runs one on his 16hp Mitsubishi. You may have to make adjustments by raising depth of cut or taking a smaller swath if the grass or weeds are exceptionally tall or thick. Other than that, the physical size and weight would be the only constraints. If you don't already have a FEL or other means of adding weight to the front, you will need that too.
Jeff

/ Bush hog size #5  
I am sorta in the same boat, only, with a BX1500..........
Will the BX1500 Kubo spin a 48" or should I opt for a more proprietary line of 42" types? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tanks.

/ Bush hog size
I already have 80 lbs on the front I hope that would be enough

/ Bush hog size #7  
I ran a King Kutter 4ft rotary behind a B7100 (16hp, 13.5pto) and rarely had any trouble. The front end would get light ( Power steering, Yea!!) on uphills, but nothing to get excited about. I didn't have any weights on front either.

/ Bush hog size #8  
My 17 hp B1550 drives a 48" King Kutter just fine when mowing pastures. Before I purchased the 48" KK, I used the 60" KK mower from my old retired Farmall 200. The Kubota certainly didn't have enough horsepower to take a full swath with the larger mower, but I was able to make do with it for a while by taking only partial swaths.
Frank Z.

/ Bush hog size #9  
I have a GearMore 42" on my BX2200. It has so much power!! It cuts thick tall stuff with 1 1/2" stems with no problem at all. I'd imagine you'd do o.k. with the 48" on the BX1800. One consideration is that the 42" model is the same width as the tractor and that is convenient when cutting between & around things.