Bush Hog SQ172 - Getting to Blades

/ Bush Hog SQ172 - Getting to Blades
So if you're going the route of removing the nuts and bolts instead of cutting them off.... The stump jumper or blade carrier on this mower isn't very stout, you will have to block the bottom of the stump jumper to keep it from flexing downward when you are trying to drive the bolt down and out.
You will also need something of size that you can place on top of the bolt, that you can hit repeatedly with a sledge hammer. Helps to have someone hold it for you and take turns whacking it with the sledge hammer.

Good Luck

Right, I wouldn't want to beat on the shoulder bolt without solid backup. That would transmit a lot of shock to the shaft and gear box. I figure a short piece of 2 or 3" pipe on the concrete and against the blade near the bolt should work.

Thanks,,,

/ Bush Hog SQ172 - Getting to Blades #12  
I take them off with a 3/4 drive socket. Haven't had the problems that you folks seem to be having with them. The deck will hold the wrench in place as you pull against the nut. I see where someone is trying to take the gearbox off, that doesn't help anything. Taking off the stumpjumper with blades will not give you anything to pull against. The hole in the deck is for that reason. The bolt has a key in it so a good hit should pop it out without too much problem. Just be sure when putting it back in to line up the key.