Rotary Cutter Bush Hog temporarily shuts down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #31  
I certainly feel bad for the employees of BH. Bush Hog has always had a great reputation in the industry. I hope that BH is strong relative to the parent company and they're just trying to free up some money to cover losses from their other divisions and this potential sale isnt indicative of their financial health.

If BH is sold hopefully its sold to an investor who has an interest in keeping the brand's quality and manufacturing in North America. Id hate to see the company sold, and be Bush Hog in name only while being manufactured overseas complete with typical oversees quality.

As was pointed out earlier, we're to blame for alot of these closures, by not making an effort to buy a quality product made in NA. 20- 25% premium for the Bush Hog name is worth it to me considering where it was made and the quality of the product.

Think about all the stories on TBN and other forums of people finding these old 20-30 year old Bush Hogs, slapping a coat of paint on them, and putting them back to work. I doubt we'll be seeing many of those stories in the future about (insert your favorite import brand here) rotary mowers. Like alot of things you get what you pay for.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #32  
Last summer, I bought a Bush Hog 72" zero-turn mower with a 30hp Kohler engine. I chose it over all the other brands because of the price and the quality of it. The thing is built like a tank! The welds on it are the best I have ever seen. It is one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever owned! I hope Bush Hog stays in business not only for their fine employees, but for people like me who prefer quality equipment.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #33  
This is more of a situation in which Bush Hog's ownership, CC Industries, a division of Henry Crown and Company, is struggling. Crown is an investment firm, and we all know the beating that segment is enduring. My guess is that they are seeking avenues to raise cash quickly, and Bush Hog is probably one of their more saleable assets. Great Dane, Weiler and Co. and Formax (both manufacturers of meat processing equipment), and Gillig (municipal busses) are also owned by Crown. Crown is also heavily invested in commercial real estate, i.e., office buildings and retail centers.

I can see CC Industries selling Bush Hog if they needed the money. However, if it is turning a profit, why would you close down for a month? They closed because of big financial trouble. Great Dane trailers have also laid off a lot of workers (I believe 200) at a manufacturing plant in Nebr.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #34  
I have a hard time with people not understanding why this is happening when they go out and buy similar products made overseas.

I haven't seen any seriously competitive implements coming out of China. Certainly nothing in the quality tier of Bush Hog. They (China) can barely compete with King Kutter and Howse.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #35  
Hey, Dana, long time, no see; glad to see you're still around.:)

Hi Bird, been too long, hope things are going well for you and yours.
I am around once in a while, but since I have mostly recuperated after surgry i am busy again. Not much time too surf this site any more.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #36  
i hope they make it. i got several peices of bush hog equipment around my place. i.e. front end loader, 286 bush hog, sq48 bush hog, th60 finishing mower.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down...
I haven't seen any seriously competitive implements coming out of China. Certainly nothing in the quality tier of Bush Hog. They (China) can barely compete with King Kutter and Howse.

Howse doesn't compete with King Kutter. King Kutter equipment is much better quality equipment than Howse. Look at gearboxes etc and you'll see the difference in quality that King Kutter has over Howse. I look at it like this... Howse is cheap... the King Kutter stuff seems to me to be a better value. There is better equipment, there is more expensive equipment... but just strictly buying on value I think the King Kutter is extremely hard to beat. Keep in mind they make a lot of heavier duty equipment that farm stores don't carry. Most farm stores buy the least expensive equipment... look at the heavier duty KK stuff... you can really tell a difference then.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #38  
The Bush Hog marketing label is too valuable for it to disappear. Crown is selling Bush Hog piece by piece if they have too. Bush Hog did substantially increase the discount on their utility vehicles. AGCO might be a potential buyer. A few years ago Alamo Group tried to purchase Bush Hog but they would not be interested now unless it was a fire sale. Quicke and BH recently could not get together on the value of their loader division. It is likely that the company will be split up and sold with BH core premium cutter business keeping the BH name.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down...
CCI -

Where are you hearing AGCO might be a potential buyer? I'm hearing CNH Global as a possible buyer. That's according to Ag Equipment Intelligence reports.

I agree that Bush Hog won't dis-appear, but I think something will definitely change. I'm pretty sure their line will be pared back.... no more ATV's, UTV's, Zero-turn mowers.... There is just to much competition in those sectors. I also think they will sell the loader / backhoe lines off completely.

/ Bush Hog temporarily shuts down... #40  
Bush Hog does in fact make one series of its own tillers. They are the only short line that manufactures a tiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.