Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson #1  

windcatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmall Cub, John Deere 322 w/ scrape blade & 48" mower, JB JR bucket, Simplicity LandLord DLX, Haban 3 pt hitch Sickle bar Mower, Lemon LS XR3032H
Hey folks.

I'm checking out the Massey Ferguson line of sub compacts. I've had some contact with other members about the GC 17xx series tractors. They've all been very helpful with their answers.

I wanted to ask some of you if you had experience with either bush hogging with your GC 17xx tractor or tilling - even the 23xx, 24xx, 26xx tractors for that matter. They're all related you know.

If so, what brands of bush hogging or tiller, and the size (4 ft or larger) you are using? What kind of soil are you tilling, and if bush hogging, what was the material type (saplings, thick grass, etc) like?

Those two tasks besides sickle bar mowing are high on my list of chores for this tractor.

Please chime in and let us know. Inquiring minds do want to know.

Thanks in advance.

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson #2  
Bush Hog 48" Razorback. It's a bad mamma jamma behind my GC1705.

Brush up to about 2", tall brome, roadsides.

Only busted on shear bolt thus far, and it's been some nasty stuff. 8" stump about 6" tall that I didn't see until too late did the job.

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson
MJ, thanks for the reply. I've contacted the dealer about a Bush Hog brand rotary cutter too. He's quoted a 48" for about $1200.00. Does this sound like it's in the ball park for your model?

I'm looking at using my unit to help keep undergrowth in check on the backside of a pond dam with a GC1715. I'd prefer to purchase a good unit that will work for many years as opposed to having to buy over and over again due to wear and tear.

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson #4  
As I recall, the bush hog equipment was basically at the dealers cost. Rotary was like 1000 and the landscape rake was 500.

My "deal" was GC1705 with DL 95, 60" drive on deck, front dozer blade with hitch (this thing was nearly 2500), and the 2 bush hog attachments. So, he got his money on the Massey stuff we could finance and he "gave me a deal" on the bush hog stuff as I was paying cash for it.

As I recall, the bush hog equipment was basically at the dealers cost. Rotary was like 1000 and the landscape rake was 500.

My "deal" was GC1705 with DL 95, 60" drive on deck, front dozer blade with hitch (this thing was nearly 2500), and the 2 bush hog attachments. So, he got his money on the Massey stuff we could finance and he "gave me a deal" on the bush hog stuff as I was paying cash for it.

Thanks MJ. That sounds about right then. I already have a JD 4-way hydraulic blade that is in prime condition. I plan on making some brackets for the GC and mounting that blade to it for snow, etc.

Here's the link I found on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omlE8Y9zK-A

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson #6  
I have the GC2400 and have a 4' "bush hog" that I paid $500 for used and it works well. I don't remember the name brand but I have heard that all the gear boxes are made in the same place in China so it doesn't matter much. It has done well, cut saplinge up to about 3" and has taken on a few rocks the size of your head and come out well. I have a new 5' Kk tiller, well it was new about 4 years ago and it has done very well. I can work up a new garden in a pasture in about two passes. Then I come back in about a week and kill the grass that is still trying to re-root and it is ready to plant. I have worked up several gardens that have good loam and one that was pure red clay and it has done well. I only run the tractor at about 1500 rpm and take my time. The only problem is I get done so fast I don't have time to enjoy it. I do keep the loader on when I use the tiller because the front end of the tractor gets a little light. Hope this helps.
Ed

Thanks Ed for the info. It's good to read these kinds of things. I just read up on your hometown. I've been by there about 4 years ago taking in different trips to the Virginia caverns - Luray, Endless, Shenandoah, and a couple of others.

Very nice area you live in. :thumbsup:

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson #8  
I have the GC2400 and have a 4' "bush hog" that I paid $500 for used and it works well. I don't remember the name brand but I have heard that all the gear boxes are made in the same place in China so it doesn't matter much. It has done well, cut saplinge up to about 3" and has taken on a few rocks the size of your head and come out well. I have a new 5' Kk tiller, well it was new about 4 years ago and it has done very well. I can work up a new garden in a pasture in about two passes. Then I come back in about a week and kill the grass that is still trying to re-root and it is ready to plant. I have worked up several gardens that have good loam and one that was pure red clay and it has done well. I only run the tractor at about 1500 rpm and take my time. The only problem is I get done so fast I don't have time to enjoy it. I do keep the loader on when I use the tiller because the front end of the tractor gets a little light. Hope this helps.
Ed

Greetings Ed,

Just wondering . . you use a 4 foot brush hog but you use a 5 foot tiller with motor running 1500 rpm. I guess I figured a tiller would need as much hp at the pto as the brush hog. With a foot more on the tiller PLUS only 1500 rpm . . don't you bog down at all?

I'm all for lower rpm operation . . But at 1500 rpm that seems very low power and would seem your pto would spin considerably slower than its 540 revolutions design.

Any input on why you are running such a very low engine rpm ??

/ Bush hogging or Tilling with GC series Massey Ferguson #9  
Thanks Ed for the info. It's good to read these kinds of things. :

I know the Landpride rep. was telling me how they had developed specific items l8ke a brush hog item just for sub compacts. He'd showed me a big new wall poster the Kubita dealers were going to be getting . . . of this selection of specific items that could be well operated on sub compacts from the BX1870-1 to BX2670-1 sizes. A GC1715 would be equivalent to the largest of that group . . the bx2670-1.

Apparently they made the series of items not just based on a category 1 and a horsepower rating . . But also based on lift heights and even a "limited cat 1" hitch.

I know the Landpride rep. was telling me how they had developed specific items l8ke a brush hog item just for sub compacts. He'd showed me a big new wall poster the Kubita dealers were going to be getting . . . of this selection of specific items that could be well operated on sub compacts from the BX1870-1 to BX2670-1 sizes. A GC1715 would be equivalent to the largest of that group . . the bx2670-1.

Apparently they made the series of items not just based on a category 1 and a horsepower rating . . But also based on lift heights and even a "limited cat 1" hitch.

Axlehub, could you pass on that information to me? I'm wide open to suggestions right now.

Thanks.