Bush Hogging Rates

/ Bush Hogging Rates #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I noticed someone mention using the loader as a landmine detector for the hog. I've tried it and found with the loader blocking the view, anything it hits I have run over with my tires and sometimes the hog by the time I get stopped.

I've found affording the best possible front view reduces the number of rocks or fence posts I run over. This means taking the bucket or whole loader off.

Anyone else find this? )</font>

That's always been my thoughts on the issue. The best saftey device ANY piece of equipment can have is an alert operator with good eye sight.

/ Bush Hogging Rates
I've had the FEL save me a few times on my own property (and I've only owned the FEL 6 mos.). Wire in the grass and those steel rod fence posts they use for electric fences; my Dad used to use both to mark small trees he set out. Some of the trees died but the wire and post are still there, sometimes lying down in the grass. Almost impossible to see in 4 ft. high orchard grass even when going as slow as I do.

The times I stopped to find junk like this dangling from the bucket forks, I sure was grateful for the FEL.

My Dad was sort of a fanatic about planting trees.
Bob

/ Bush Hogging Rates #23  
In my are backhoe operators charge around $50 an hour. I would think mowing with a tractor and rotary mower would run about the same.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Most 3/W's I see that handy persons (hired or just plain helpful) replaced with single poles with the third wire to ground. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>

3 ways werent too bad but the 4 way in Dad's last garage reduced us to makin' our own fuses. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bush Hogging Rates #25  
We run a lanscaping / light grading / site work company in NC, and $60.00 hr for compact 40hp min with an attachment whether it be a bushhog,harley rake, auger or box blade is my average. With the exception on snow removal double that rate. (due to wear on tires and cutting edges), one thing to seriously consider is the extra risk in bushhogging, a blade can break or come loose and cut a rear tire $300 repair easy. Or how about surrounding areas windows, roadways, bystanders. Now most people with common sense won't bushhog beside people, but what about that 12 year old neighor (mind you are on a strange area and don't know the neighbors) that wanders up and you don't see. Also be certain to carefully watch you engine temp. Bushhogging can stop up a grill or radiator. The odds on problems are in your favor, but charge enough so that you can cover problems. just in case.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #26  
This is a good topic. I've done work for a property owner for several years and this year they parted with their usual person to mow 30 acres, half of which didn't get mowed last year so it was little hay/grass mostly saplings. I spent 20 hours doing the whole thing and took my time. Moving through the high stuff I was cautious about what I was doing 'cause I could tell what was under me!. I was told the "other guy" did it in eight hours. I thought about that for a minute and questioned the cut quality which had to be poor and the owner agreed. They paid me %30 more than the agreed upon price based on the cut quality. Mowing is a service the customer can see and compare which is hard to argue. I'm probably no better than the other guy but went slower and it paid off. To this post it was $35 an hour for the mowing........not the lowest but not the highest

/ Bush Hogging Rates #27  
I charge $75/ hour which is $48/acre with a 70hp tractor and a 10.5' cutter.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #28  
I have a JD 3032E 4x4 with front end loader and just getting my buisiness off the ground. I plan on doing a variety of services such as bush hogging, disking, seed/fertilizer spreading and light front end loader work for property clean up. My tractor pulls a 5' bush hogg great and 5' disk. I was thinking of charging $30.00 and acre or $50 an hour. Whats your opinion?

/ Bush Hogging Rates #29  
I have a JD 3032E 4x4 with front end loader and just getting my buisiness off the ground. I plan on doing a variety of services such as bush hogging, disking, seed/fertilizer spreading and light front end loader work for property clean up. My tractor pulls a 5' bush hogg great and 5' disk. I was thinking of charging $30.00 and acre or $50 an hour. Whats your opinion?

What are your operating costs (e.g., fuel, maintenance, allowance for repairs, etc.) per hour (or acre)?
What are your ownership costs (depreciation, insurance, property taxes, interest on your investment, etc.) per hour (or acre)?
What are you charging for your labor?
How are you accounting for the costs of transporting your equipment to and from job sites?
What's your profit target?

Steve

/ Bush Hogging Rates #30  

You have to watch charging by the acre. You could burn up a couple of hours or more depending on the job. I would charge at least $50 a hour for your machine. I would have a minimum amount of of X amount of hours or a move in fee if you have to trailer it there.