Busted rear diff dodge 2500

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #61  
…..is Cummins.

I guess I would have taken that set up too...Can't knock you for it.

However, with 150k and the current owner owning it from just recently...that is well past a factory defect. I don't know what would cause that failure. Maybe just dumb luck.

So you really didn't have to make any excuses for why it failed and I would have agreed with you. :LOL:

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #62  
The way the numbers are determined is by dividing the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion, but that's probably not what you wanted to know.

Using 3.73 and 3.42 gearing as an example, the difference is about 10%, which means that the engine would turn 10% faster at a given speed with the 3.73s. And another 10% with 4.10s.

Lower gears (numerically high) are better for towing and put less strain on the drive train. They put more torque to the ground. Tall gears, like 3.42s, can deliver better mileage depending on the usage.

Think of it as levers. A short lever (3.42s) is harder to apply force with than a longer lever (3.73s), but you have to move your hand a slightly longer distance.

Hope that helps, Greg.
Too many kubotas, Thanks for the mental picture - that helps me get a grasp on the thought! I had a "kinda" idea but wasn't fully sure.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #63  
zyPE2gz.jpg

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #65  
Why would someone do that, when both of those diesels are already in a better truck to start with??

SR
When semi trucks start running v8 diesels again let me know!

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #66  
Scania has been doing it for a long time with their 16 litre V8 engine with 770 HP and over 2700 ft lbs of torque. :)

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #68  
When the biggest most powerful dozers (read CAT D10 and D11) start running inline 6's, let me know.

The V8 diesels in pu's these days last longer than the rest of the truck, that's good enough.

Those words from a guy that has Ford, Chevy and Dodge right now...

SR

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #70  
When the biggest most powerful dozers (read CAT D10 and D11) start running inline 6's, let me know.

The V8 diesels in pu's these days last longer than the rest of the truck, that's good enough.

Those words from a guy that has Ford, Chevy and Dodge right now...

SR
V8’s are definitely in the minority when it comes to heavy equipment though… by far.

They started in the 1960s e.g., Cummins, Detroit and Mack to name three off the top of my head.

Yeah, but they’ve all been superseded now-a-days in the US by the inline 6 configuration.

Nothing like the sound of a 2 stroke Detroit Diesel though… 👍🏼

Last edited: