Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #21  
Great thread guys, very informative, amazing what a few pictures will do to help analyze a problem.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #22  
No credit to me, please. I learned about this problem (although I haven't experienced it myself) on… what was that forum called? TBN!!

Being as **** as I am, I like pics, lots of them. Guess it's the frustrated engineer in me.

Only happy to help out, but it was another thread that alerted us all to this potential problem.

Respectfully, irvingj, AKA Walt.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft
Great thread guys, very informative, amazing what a few pictures will do to help analyze a problem.

You're right, these guys are very informative and happy to do it which makes them super in my eyes.

Thanx again.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #24  
No credit to me, please. I learned about this problem (although I haven't experienced it myself) on… what was that forum called? TBN!!

Being as **** as I am, I like pics, lots of them. Guess it's the frustrated engineer in me.

Only happy to help out, but it was another thread that alerted us all to this potential problem.

Respectfully, irvingj, AKA Walt.

LOL. Working in the aviation field I am a little **** myself and am a visual person so pictures help a lot. Manuals are a tremendous help but seeing something can sometimes make the difference when diagnosing a problem. Not sure that it says much for my mind's eye but it is what it is.

Today's methods for virtual training of aviation technicians and engineers has a place but nothing beats getting out there and putting your hands on something.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #25  
Well, I've busted plenty of shear pins on my gravel road but never a drive shaft. As you can see by the photos, it busted at the joint and because it's a welded piece it won't be easy to repair.
I have the 2410 scut with the 2360 blower. I may try calling the Kubota dealer because my dealer has closed and it's said that they share the same blower with MF.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 350408View attachment 350409
Mine just blew out last week the U joint at the Mid coupler got taken out and the quick hitch assembly tore away from the front bumper. I surmised that the weld on the hitch plate that secures the square stock to create the mounting lip failed causing all this calamity. I was able to get a new shaft at my dealer that day $525.00 as they advised not to rebuild it due to its high rpm. I welded the hitch plate square stock back on and she is back in service what a mess.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #26  
Bill, I just read your post. Ouch! I answered your PM, but I guess the part I have is not what broke on yours. I'd go with the driveline repair shop- I had to have one made up years ago for my '72 Blazer after it was stolen right off the truck in a parking garage in Burlington VT the day before hunting season opened (^%$%^$!!:mad::mad:). Those shops really know what they're doing.

Fun living on a dirt road, huh? After the first major snow & subsequent plowing (yesterday), all those rocks that used to be n the middle of the road are all right next to my driveway & mailbox. Went through two shear pins yesterday, one auger and one fan. Ugh.

Walt

Here's some pics of my driveshaft yoke:

View attachment 350566View attachment 350565
Were you able to rebuild this shaft ? I bought the u joints at NAPA (thank you for the pics I pulled the part numbers from) But my dealer strongly advised me not to do so as it spins at 2000 RPM and they felt it would be a safety issue as well as a vibration issue. $525 bucks, but he had one in stock so I installed it.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #27  
Do you know if they'd be able to fix the busted one??

The broken U joint center cross should not be repaired. Neither should the yokes. Welding a new yoke on the driveshaft is okay - so whole new U joint, reuse your driveshaft.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #28  
The broken U joint center cross should not be repaired. Neither should the yokes. Welding a new yoke on the driveshaft is okay - so whole new U joint, reuse your driveshaft.
Thanks for the reply. I did try the local drive shaft shop and they would not touch it. But I did keep all the parts so if I do some travels to the southern part of my state I will find a more qualified shop and drop it off for repair.

/ Busted Snow Blower Driveshaft #29  
No, I never did rebuild it, because I never had the problem of that shaft coming off. Still have the yoke piece with the longer splined section, but haven't ever needed it. Still have the original parts on the driveshaft & quick-hitch assy -- but I DO check that shaft whenever I service it to ensure it hasn't moved and sticks out that 5+ inches.

PS - I did, however, replace the blower's drive chain & sprockets last year; old ones were pretty worn, with no more chain tension adjustment left.

DSC09667.jpg