Busted Tractor

/ Busted Tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

On the Compact Tractor Board there was in interesting discussion some time back about a gentleman who's tractor had actually broken in half. Reply'ers had thought he had loaded the loader bucket with rocks while it was off the ground, or that he was using a short frame loader, or was using a loader WITH a rear implement on (don't you have to?) or using a different loader etc etc.

It was a "Long" Tractor, a brand I've never heard of with it's orginal loader, and evidentally he wasn't loading rocks, just pushing some brush around.

It did get me thinking though. If you did load your loader bucket with it up by hand over it's lift capacity, wouldn't the hydraulics giveup and let it drop long before the loader would be damaged (not to mention the tractor breaking in half?) Or is there something in the valving that wouldn't allow the release. Seems like I was doing something against an 6 foot embankment one time and a rock rolled into the bucket and the bucket just went down slow in my Ford NH. A fluke?

I've put a few rocks in my bucket by hand, but as the loader is designed to carry gravel anyway I don't think I could overload it even that way. A big rock you'd have to roll in anyway and the bucket would be on the ground and the loader just wouldn't lift it.

I don't know who makes "Long" tractors and don't mean to be disparaging of any brand, but I'm reminded of an incident at a hardware store. While at the checkout counter a friend was playing with a very large vise, the kind we all want in our garages, half vise, half huge blacksmith anvil! He was just playing with it and the whole dang thing broke in half and fell on the floor almost hitting his foot. It was made in China. It was some sort of grainy casting that I couldn't imagine would allow any pounding on anyway.

So what's the verdict do you feel most of the factory loader combos are set to slip before tractor damage?

/ Busted Tractor #2  
Del, the way they're designed, something would have to break. It would have to be a hose, a fitting, a cylinder seal, or the valve itself, but there's no inherent protection. During the lifting process itself, it's all controlled by the hydraulic pressure relief valve, but that's on the pump side and once the valves the joystick controls are closed, there's nothing but some sort of failure that will let the bucket down.

Long tractors have been made by several different companies over the years. Currently, they're made by an Italian firm, I think. Or it may be that the small line is made by a Japanese firm and the larger one by the Italian one - I don't remember for sure. I've got an article on it somewhere.

Mark

/ Busted Tractor #3  
Del, you need to register...

My last tractor broke in half while my son was mowing. Sure comes to a sudden stop when the front of the tractor hits the ground and the wheels are no longer tied to it. It was a Massey Ferguson 245 -2WD tractor. Pretty good size tractor, but the front end was obviously not capable of the tremendous weight put on it by a loader.

As I have said before, try to find a Tractor Manufacturers Brochure that shows a loader on a 2WD tractor. They know better!

/ Busted Tractor
Wen, I registered, then everytime I tried to post never could "name taken" etc messages, probably because I don't allow "cookies" to be sent/read to/from my computer. And yes most people feel cookies are not a hazard, they CAN'T harm you. Uh huh...so far every other thing I've been told CAN'T happen I've seen has happened, to major users.

I get tired of discarding the damn things most of the time they are just there to make sure you see a different friggin advertisement each time or so you can be targeted for future emails. Yes, I know this CAN'T be done, which is why I find it interesting that I've seen it happen to close friends who are have been scrupulously careful not to enter personal information through cgi files on websites and were still loaded up with "how did they know that" emails.

Actually as long as you stay Microsoft Free and Windows Free you're probably OK.

del

[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Busted Tractor #5  
Del,
You can always tell who the smart MAC users are! By the way Del, This new G4 is great, talk about speed!
Von

/ Busted Tractor #6  
Only seen one tractor that broke in half,and I was attending a tractor pull at country fair.
The owner was trying to pull to much weight plus all of the balance weight on the front of the tractor.
The Oliver turbo 99 made a lound grinning noise than ther was quite,fluids and vapors everwhere also a sad face.

I believe its very important to match your loader to the tractor or eles $$$,also relieve valve are so important and should never be tamper with.

Take care and have fun also don't over load.