busting a cap on a new pole barn shop

/ busting a cap on a new pole barn shop #21  
I am building at some point a pole barn as well with posts on footings. I was thinking of buying a length of box tube, inside diameter of 8" wall thickness of probably quarter inch. Cut 8" length's then weld a plate on the bottom to accept a threaded rod through the bottom. Put a half inch hole through the boxed tube and post to run another piece of threaded rod through this. The threaded rod going into the footing i was thinking of welding a piece of rebar to each side. As well if you wanted to go further, with the threaded rod that goes perpendicular through the post and box a hurricane tie could be fashioned to the end of it.

I'll be following to see how you make out.

Bill

Hi Bill welcome to the forum. My question is why do you want to reinvent the wheel. Pole barns have been built successfully for so many decades with post in the ground, why change?

MarkV

/ busting a cap on a new pole barn shop #22  
Hi Mark

I'm on solid granite on the Canadian shield. So the plan is to do the lowest footing possible to get me level then set the posts on top. Believe me I wish I had 4' of soil. Part of the tool kit around here is a good rock drill with plenty of bits.
Bill

/ busting a cap on a new pole barn shop #23  
Hi Mark

I'm on solid granite on the Canadian shield. So the plan is to do the lowest footing possible to get me level then set the posts on top. Believe me I wish I had 4' of soil. Part of the tool kit around here is a good rock drill with plenty of bits.
Bill

Yep, sure could see how solid granite would change the plan.

MarkV

/ busting a cap on a new pole barn shop
MX842: Come-on man! Update your profile a bit to let us know whether your in the swamps of FL, the 'Tornado Alley' of the Midwest, in Alaska, Canada, or Austrailia.........! We can help you better that way..........~S

Oh! I thought I mentioned that I was in VA. We have a saying here that if you don't like the weather here today, just hang around until tomorrow because it will be different. The day before yesterday it was cloudy and 31 degrees in the morning, yesterday it was partly sunny and 62, today it was raining and 77 degrees, tomorrow??....who knows???LOL

For my outdoor BBQ covering I used 6x6 posts set on Simpson post anchor, see here:Product Category: Post/Column Bases
I think they were either CB or CBSQ's imbedded in the conrete. It is open sided with 3' diagonals at each post to header. It is pretty sturdy with no side walls and a full roof that is paneled inside. These can hold your posts off the crete. I also used that peel and stick rubber on the post bottoms that comes in a roll for putting wood against concrete.

These are the post anchors that Lowes has in their stores here. I was looking at them but once I saw the price they wanted for them I took a pic and went home and found a loose piece of plate steel and went to work cutting out a bunch of 3" wide pieces about 8" long to weld on top of the pieces of angle I cut and drilled yesterday. I needed about 20 bases all together and I had enough flat plate to cut out for 16 of them so tomorrow I'll take a run to BMG metals and hit their drop pile and get the last few pieces I need. I know it sound like a lot of fooling around but I like doing stuff like this besides I don't have my post yet so I have plenty of time. Also I figure for the almost $500 bucks they would have cost me if it takes me a couple days to do them I'm still good.

I got all the pieces cut out and drilled and about half of them sand blasted today and tomorrow I'll finish sand blasting and weld them up then probably paint them. I was going to powder coat them but now I think I'll just paint them and be done with it. I would have finished today but the mill scale on that piece of plate I cut up today was a bear to blast off.

I do not see wood mentioned in your original post, so I am not assuming
it.

Here is how I did my recently-completed pole shed:
I dug holes down to refusal (rock) and placed/poured cardboard tubes
with concrete and a piece of rebar. My columns were galv steel
schedule 80 pipe that I bought as scrap at the steel yard. Since the
ID of the pipe is much bigger than the rebar OD, I can adjust my
columns an inch or so each way to get them in line (+/- 1/16"). I pour
some concrete down the column when ready, to anchor them.

I was able to actually save money doing it this way, and avoid fire,
termite, carpenter ant, boring beetle, and woodpecker damage.

I did my deck this way, too, but with 16-ft steel 4x4 tubing. Neither
structure includes a slab, but it could be added later.

Sorry, but no i will be using wood post. I thought about using 4" round stock and have some on hand but I decided to go with the wood post besides wood peckers are good target practice.LOL