Butchering with a Massey Ferguson

/ Butchering with a Massey Ferguson #31  
We've done a few cattle that way as well as moose. We did find it best not to do them during foliage season of the front lawn. Tourist from away were rather repulsed by the sight of us gutting and skinning a 1500 lb cow on the front lawn while they were riding around one fine Saturday afternoon looking for pretty colored leaves to gawk at.

/ Butchering with a Massey Ferguson
We've done a few cattle that way as well as moose. We did find it best not to do them during foliage season of the front lawn. Tourist from away were rather repulsed by the sight of us gutting and skinning a 1500 lb cow on the front lawn while they were riding around one fine Saturday afternoon looking for pretty colored leaves to gawk at.

Yes, City Slickers. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em..........what's a person to do:laughing:

In all seriousness though, the back end of the tractor was facing the road, and there is a 4 foot embankment there that semi-blocks the view(as well as 2 large pine trees.

/ Butchering with a Massey Ferguson #33  
Yes, City Slickers. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em..........what's a person to do:laughing:

Good Afternon Don,
Just ignore them and let them drive buy,,, theyll get over it... ;):)

Nothin better than good sausage...:thumbsup:

Good Afternon Don,
Just ignore them and let them drive buy,,, theyll get over it... ;):)

Nothin better than good sausage...:thumbsup:
Ain't that the truth. And I now have 100lbs. of it:thumbsup:

/ Butchering with a Massey Ferguson #35  

In all seriousness though, the back end of the tractor was facing the road, and there is a 4 foot embankment there that semi-blocks the view(as well as 2 large pine trees.

Several years back a local taxidermy place along a busy 4 lane highway used to hang deer from an A-frame to make them easier to skin out for mounting. Some lady wrote into the editorial pages of the local paper whining about how she didn't know how to explain to her 4 year old what was going on, deer are so pretty, blah, blah, blah, ect. Which led to a visit from someone on a tourism board. The place ended up putting a screen around the whole set-up to placate the delicate flowers driving by. Shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes it's just much less trouble to be less visable.

Nice hog, not much better than a sausage patty, slice of onion and spicy mustard sandwich.

/ Butchering with a Massey Ferguson #36  
....Tourist from away were rather repulsed by the sight of us gutting and skinning a 1500 lb cow on the front lawn while they were riding around one fine Saturday afternoon looking for pretty colored leaves to gawk at.

Speaking of gutting. I notice that the pig was killed, transported, had the hide and hooves removed, and still hadn't been gutted. I come from a school of thought that when you butcher, you want that body cavity opened asap, cleaned out and cooling for best flavor and least chance for the meat (and especially organs if you're into liver etc) to go bad.

/ Butchering with a Massey Ferguson #37  
I find that there is few more "grounding" activities than butchering. Gardening is high on the list as well. I feel for those who don't have the opportunity to take part in such activities.

Several years back a local taxidermy place along a busy 4 lane highway used to hang deer from an A-frame to make them easier to skin out for mounting. Some lady wrote into the editorial pages of the local paper whining about how she didn't know how to explain to her 4 year old what was going on, deer are so pretty, blah, blah, blah, ect. Which led to a visit from someone on a tourism board. The place ended up putting a screen around the whole set-up to placate the delicate flowers driving by. Shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes it's just much less trouble to be less visable.

Nice hog, not much better than a sausage patty, slice of onion and spicy mustard sandwich.
Thanks, and I agree.

Speaking of gutting. I notice that the pig was killed, transported, had the hide and hooves removed, and still hadn't been gutted. I come from a school of thought that when you butcher, you want that body cavity opened asap, cleaned out and cooling for best flavor and least chance for the meat (and especially organs if you're into liver etc) to go bad.
Never heard that before.

If a person is going to scald and scrape a hog, that can only be done right after killing, and before gutting. I didn't scald mine, just cut the hide off. But still was less than half the time it would take for scalding/scraping, then gutting.

I find that there is few more "grounding" activities than butchering. Gardening is high on the list as well. I feel for those who don't have the opportunity to take part in such activities.
So do I my friend.

Butchering takes a lot of planning, and committed people. Everyone must work together to see that the job gets done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Especially if you butcher at this time of year, with the summer heat.

I lucked out though actually, morning temp was about 58 degrees and cloudy. Rain was on the way. By the time I went to cut the gutted hog in half, it started raining lightly and I got the two halves hung in the fridge to cool without 1 fly ever coming near it. I was totally surprised.