Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer?

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #1  

FreeWulf

Tractor
None now
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

My dad recently bought a 2WD diesel JD 2020 that was "restored". The previous owner replaced the tach and hour meter at the same time, and while the tractor looks really nice, I have no idea if he did more than cosmetic stuff to it. It does seem to run really well though. Dad then bought a smaller Massey 135, which he likes better, and is planning on selling the 2020.

I really like the power of the 2020, and it's fairly nimble and a nice size. I love the transmission setup on the 2020. It has High, Low, and Reverse, plus 4 speeds in the transmission. So when mowing I can just tap the range lever back into R, and it backs up at the same speed as I was mowing.

The main problem with the 2020 is that I hate the location of the 3 point position lever. It's down by my knee and hard to get at, especially when I need to brush hog in rocky areas and need to move it constantly. I could rig up an extension, but it's annoying and wouldn't be as nice as from the factory.

I need a tractor with a loader. My uses are almost exclusively going to be bush hogging, and occasionally using the loader to move equipment around. I also plan on moving to Alaska, and having 4WD to plow snow with would be really nice, but not strictly necessary if I had chains.

Right now I can buy my dad's 2020, and then hopefully find a loader to fit it. He'll sell it for what he paid for it, $8,000. Then I have to find and get a loader working right.

Or, I can wait for a newer machine with a loader to pop up. I'm looking at things like Ford 4610, 5610, JD 5300, JD 2255, JD 2350, Case 585, etc. Basically something in the 50HP at the PTO range.

The 2020 hasn't proven itself yet, and I don't know that much about it. So far it's been good, but we only have about 50 hours on it.

What will the 2020 be like with a loader? Is the pump strong enough for it? Is the front axle? Are they good machines in general? I'm not going to be using it hard, but I want it to last decades and be reasonably easy to work on. It does have one set of rear remotes.

Right now my instincts are to wait for a newer machine.

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #2  
Why not buy the 2020 and see how it works for you? At that rate you are only converting cash into a tractor and can always convert it back into cash if you do not like it. Exactly what your Dad is doing.

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #3  
I don't know where you're located, or exactly what you want to do with it, but the fact that it's 2WD is a serious limitation. It wouldn't do much of what I need because it's 2WD. I have a 2WD Deere with loader and it's only ok on dry ground and for limited jobs. It's super easy to get stuck. No way would it clear snow and it sits in the barn all winter. I use the loader on that machine very little. I use the loaders on a couple 4WD Kubotas constantly.

Just my initial thoughts. . . .

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #4  
First $8K is high for a 2020, you are paying a lot for the restore job included.
Finding a loader will be hard. I am not sure what front axle it has. I am not even sure a HD front axle was offered, which is must for a loader.
Next two wheel drive is limiting. I have the next size/series up, a 2030, I have hills it will not drive UP, and even more it will not BACK up.
A major strength is the collar shift transmission, it seems unbreakable, BUT you have to come to stop for every gear change. That gets old in hurry. At least the 2020 has a Reverser, from what you describe.

So long answer is pass.

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer?
Why not buy the 2020 and see how it works for you? At that rate you are only converting cash into a tractor and can always convert it back into cash if you do not like it. Exactly what your Dad is doing.
I had thought about doing that, but right now the market is really high on tractors here. I'm between Portland and Seattle in the PNW, and it seems like this is the highest priced area in the nation. If I sell it in the winter when I get ready to move, I'll probably take a bit of a loss. I need a tractor this summer though.

First $8K is high for a 2020, you are paying a lot for the restore job included.
Finding a loader will be hard. I am not sure what front axle it has. I am not even sure a HD front axle was offered, which is must for a loader.
Next two wheel drive is limiting. I have the next size/series up, a 2030, I have hills it will not drive UP, and even more it will not BACK up.
A major strength is the collar shift transmission, it seems unbreakable, BUT you have to come to stop for every gear change. That gets old in hurry. At least the 2020 has a Reverser, from what you describe.

So long answer is pass.

That's what's stopping me on it, as I'm a bit skeptical about how much restoration was actually done other than paint. I'm also not excited about trying to find a loader for it and then mount it, and then hope that the loader is good.

I'm not sure if it has a reverser. Maybe I'm wrong about what a reverser is. I thought a reverser was a shuttle up by the steering wheel.

The shifters on this are laid out with the stick on the right is an H pattern for the gears:
1 3
2 4

Stick on the left is also an H pattern for the range, park, and reverse:
P L
H R

So I can go straight forward to L range, and then quickly go straight back for Reverse in all 4 gears. Reverse does not work in the high range, which is fine. It's all just mechanical gears, and I need the clutch for all of it. I can shift everything while in motion. Obviously I have to come to a stop for Reverse and Park though.

Is that considered a reverser?

Loaders around here seem to be going for about $3,000 to $5500. I have yet to find one that fits. I'm thinking I'll be into the 2020 about $14,000 by the time I'm done, and I think I can find one of the tractors I'm looking for for less than that, even if I have to ship it here.

Unless there's something I'm missing here, I'm going to pass on the 2020. Plus as has been said, I'd really like 4WD.

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #6  
If you were exclusively using it for field work, maybe. Once you mentioned FEL and snow it isnt going to be a good use case. You are in for quite a bit more $$ to get a capable machine, but thats what it is. There are some dealers that sell out of state and deliver.

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #7  
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

My dad recently bought a 2WD diesel JD 2020 that was "restored". The previous owner replaced the tach and hour meter at the same time, and while the tractor looks really nice, I have no idea if he did more than cosmetic stuff to it. It does seem to run really well though. Dad then bought a smaller Massey 135, which he likes better, and is planning on selling the 2020.

I really like the power of the 2020, and it's fairly nimble and a nice size. I love the transmission setup on the 2020. It has High, Low, and Reverse, plus 4 speeds in the transmission. So when mowing I can just tap the range lever back into R, and it backs up at the same speed as I was mowing.

The main problem with the 2020 is that I hate the location of the 3 point position lever. It's down by my knee and hard to get at, especially when I need to brush hog in rocky areas and need to move it constantly. I could rig up an extension, but it's annoying and wouldn't be as nice as from the factory.

I need a tractor with a loader. My uses are almost exclusively going to be bush hogging, and occasionally using the loader to move equipment around. I also plan on moving to Alaska, and having 4WD to plow snow with would be really nice, but not strictly necessary if I had chains.

Right now I can buy my dad's 2020, and then hopefully find a loader to fit it. He'll sell it for what he paid for it, $8,000. Then I have to find and get a loader working right.

Or, I can wait for a newer machine with a loader to pop up. I'm looking at things like Ford 4610, 5610, JD 5300, JD 2255, JD 2350, Case 585, etc. Basically something in the 50HP at the PTO range.

The 2020 hasn't proven itself yet, and I don't know that much about it. So far it's been good, but we only have about 50 hours on it.

What will the 2020 be like with a loader? Is the pump strong enough for it? Is the front axle? Are they good machines in general? I'm not going to be using it hard, but I want it to last decades and be reasonably easy to work on. It does have one set of rear remotes.

Right now my instincts are to wait for a newer machine.
DO NOT DO IT!
Buying a tractor, and THEN looking for a loader is a major mistake!
Buy a tractor WITH a loader already attached!
Chains will work for snow, but for AK, buy a 4 wheel drive tractor if at all possible!

Last edited:
   / Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #8  
Two wheel drive with good chains will do snow work,
it is certainly not as nice or fast or stout as the same size four wheel drive.
As far as a loader call the aftermarket vendors and just see what a new loader would be.
100_4290.JPG

2012-01-21_12-37-18_604.jpg

I did a lot of snow removal with these two wheel drive tractors on a very steep driveway,
steep enough that to stop the Oliver on snow or packed snow you used the bucket down pressure.
After I got my first set of the Euro style studded chains, completely different stop and start any where's.
A four wheel drive is much nicer and handier;
00000100ACD1(IP Camera)_m20191202183938.jpg

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #9  
I bought my JD 2020 diesel over 20 years ago and am still using it today. Got it at a ranch auction - and it was in sad shape. The seat assembly had rusted out so the previous owner had substituted a block of wood and a pile of rags! The hydraulic system was fill of chaff - I had to drain and change the hydraulic oil and filters many times. But it came with a JD 145 front end loader, and that is a good combination. I use that loader almost daily it seems like.

My tractor has the same tranny as yours...except that mine has an optional "hi-lo" shift lever on the left side of the dash under the steering wheel. Other tractors had a true "reverser" which would allow forward and backward travel without using the clutch. The "reverser" lever was also located on the side of the dash, same place as my "hi-lo" lever.

I don't find the location of the 3-point lever a problem. The lever that irks me is the control lever for the PTO - right next to the gear shift lever. All too often when I want to shift the tranny I brush against the PTO lever and disengage the PTO.

Can't speak to aftermarket front end loaders but the JD145 loader on my 2020 works excellent and is extremely sturdy. I've found I can lift close to a ton with it - the limitation is that without 4wd, a lot of weight in the bucket and I can't back up if in loose/soft terrain because the rear tires will just spin (no liquid ballast in the tires).

If you take the tractor to Alaska - make sure to put a block heater of some sort on it. Mine will not start if the temperature is anywhere near freezing without being plugged in for an hour or so. Put some ballast on the rear and get tire chains and it will move snow just fine.

As I said, I've had mine a lot of years and have put a lot of hours on it. So if you have further questions about this particular model I'll help if I can.

Using the 2020 to set some tall poles.....
IMG_1036r.jpg

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #10  
So after one pours money into this machine what would it cost to get it to Alaska? And where in Alaska? Would one float it there or truck it through Canada?