BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's #1  

Jim57

Veteran Member
Tractor
Shibaura SD2200 4X4
BUYER\'s BEWARE of WARRANTY\'s

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

With No Names Mentions.... Warranty's are only as good as the dealer themselves. If the dealer backs you then you will be covered most of the time. But if the dealer is a crook... he will not cover things under warranty. He will find an excuse or a way out of it. Or try and sell you a New Tractor offering you less than you paid for the tractor or merchandise.... then fix yours under warranty and sell for a profit again while making a profit on you the second time on the NEW Tractor or Merchandise.

Also make sure you read all the warranty wording not just how long the warranty is. Fine Print as Well If you have questions on the warranty.. BEWARE and do not purchase unless you can take it to your attorney and let him read it. DO NOT BUY or SIGN anything until you see the specific warranty.

You should do this with all your purchases not just tractors. Enjoy your trading, purchasing but Buyer Beware they are some CROOKS out there just waiting to take your money.

Jim

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's #2  
Re: BUYER\'s BEWARE of WARRANTY\'s

Most new tractors have a 2 - 3 year warranty from the manufacturer and it's the dealer who performs any work needed. After the factory warranty expires, it's up to the dealer to provide it. I believe it's much better to spend time researching the dealer, getting references, asking questions of friends, both local and here on TBN, before purchasing a tractor versus spending time and/or money having a lawyer read a warranty. No different than buying a used car or truck. You also have to consider what type of tractor you are buying. Even old, really old, John Deere and New Holland (Ford), and other brands still have parts available for them as well as dealers who know how to service them.

The consistent advice to people buying their first tractor (or their 100th tractor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), whether new or used, is that the dealer is at least, if not more important than the brand.

Here's my 'standard' advice about dealers...Too many first time buyers get 'stars in their eyes' and are busying dreaming of all the neat things they'll be able to do with the tractor and forget about applying wisdom and research for such a major purchase.

When you're at the dealer;

Check out the service area. Is it clean? Are the mechanics working? Does it look professional? Or are people standing about drinking coffee and talking? Do the mechanics wear uniforms or are they dressed in jeans and T shirts? See any trucks and trailers owned by the dealer indicating they do pick up and delivery? How many of them are there? Big enough to handle your size tractor?

Check out the showroom/sales area. Clean and neat or a pig sty? Some manufacturers have dealer awards for sales and/or service. See any hanging on the wall? Are there empty desks in the sales area? If so, why are people leaving? Do they sell attachments? If so, are they major brand name attachments or no name ones? Some major brands have dealer requirements such as stocking a certain number of models and parts to fix them. If (fill in the blank of a major vendor) is willing to trust these guys, they are probably OK.

Does the place look busy? Not so busy that you're ignored, but busy enough to know that other people trust and like the place.

Walk around the dealers place. Is there used equipment for sale indicating recent trade ins? Is there a good selection of new tractors and attachments? Are some of the new tractors equipped with a FEL so you can see how they look and try them out? Do some of the tractors have attachments on the three point hitch so you can try them out as well? Is there a paved, grass and dirt area for you to test drive the tractor? Will they loan you a tractor to try out on your property?

Check out the Parts Department. Lots of shelves of parts behind the counter? If not, you may be waiting if you need one. Check the shelves on your side of the counter. Are there any? Bolts, nuts, paint, oil, pins, i.e., the odds and ends and consumables a tractor needs.

Does the dealer sell other things, e.g., Ag tractors or other large farming equipment, lawn and garden tractors, chain saws, string trimmers, things that indicate the dealer is a thriving business. This can also be a problem, i.e., the dealer is a jack of all trades and a master of none or that they concentrate on their large farmer customer base to the detriment of their other customers.

Does the dealer have separate departments for each line (Large Ag, Compact, Lawn and Garden) of equipment they sell and service with separate service trucks?

Check out their web site, assuming they have one. Professional looking or are the Copyright dates still 2003? Send them an email via their web site. Get a response?

Call them on the phone. Get a cheerful receptionist or Bubba back in the garage. Or do you descend into a phone system never to emerge? How many times does the phone ring? Do they have toll free numbers?

Do they take credit cards? Do they offer local bank financing?

None of these things are fool proof. Mechanics can wear uniforms and still be incompetent. People can be friendly and still give you a raw deal. Just some things to think about as you visit each dealer. All of these things help you form an overall opinion of the dealer and what kind of support he will provide.

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's #3  

I do know that some Dealers do exactly what You have mentioned, When this comes into play, Go up the ladder! Request that a Factory Field Rep look at it and talk to You .

If but for anything else it will make You feel better, Who knows, You May even find a sympathetic Representative.
If all that fails, then there is always resolution by litigation.

The Best of luck to You.

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's

Very Good Advice. You really have to be careful of the sweet talking dealers and/or salesman. I dealt with the owner that was very good at what he did but when it came to taking care of me... He Did NOT. Talk is Cheap... Action SPEAKS Much Louder and satisfied customers need to be asked if they have had any repairs under warranty or other wise and ask the how long they were down, how long did it take to get the part needed etc.

Unfortunately I did not take all of your advice and ended up burned. I will, however, take this advice and more and not let it happen to me again.

Jim

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's #5  

Hi Jim. I know from your other posts that you do much of your own mechanical work. Will you at least be able to order the parts that you need (hopefully from a different dealer) so that you can fix the tractor yourself? One way or another you should get the tractor fixed so that you can eventually trade it in on something more suitable to you. Hope this all works out in the end.

...just found the other threads and read MikePA's comments.
We really should try to combine all of these threads to better keep track.

...Tony

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's #6  

When you buy a tractor from a dealer who is affiliated with a brand such as Deere, Kubota, Kioti, etc, you have the option of going over their head to the district or territory manager. With a grey market dealer it is different. It is up to them as to what they deem falls under their warranty. It sounds like in the case of this guy his warranty is based on the importer he gets his tractors from, again not much recourse. You had mentioned in an earlier post about buying a Chinese machine. You will find the same thing with the independent Chinese tractor dealers. Most of their warranties aren't backed by a big corporation that can absorb a $1000 repair to save face. You can't just call 1-800-Jinma and voice your problems. If you go the Chinese route it would be in your best interest to go with one of the guys that frequent this forum or go with Northern or Homier.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi Jim. I know from your other posts that you do much of your own mechanical work. Will you at least be able to order the parts that you need (hopefully from a different dealer) so that you can fix the tractor yourself? One way or another you should get the tractor fixed so that you can eventually trade it in on something more suitable to you. Hope this all works out in the end.

...Tony )</font>

Hi Tony,
Good to hear from you again. Have you seen the thread where my project is coming along pretty good?

I could easily fix the tractor if I had it back and the part. I have done mechanic work all my life. I take care of all my work on my trucks and cars.

Just to let you know, I contacted the BBB and Attorney Generals Office in both states and now the media TV and News Paper about my little problem. I did get response from Georgia BBB & Georgia Attorney Generals office this morning, they are working on it on their side. They also forwarded it to SC where I had already sent it. Time will tell now.

I hope to upsize from the Shibaura SD2200 26 HP 4X4 with FEL to atleast a 30 to 35 HP 4X4 tractor with a FEL.

Thanks for responding. Keep in touch.

Jim

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When you buy a tractor from a dealer who is affiliated with a brand such as Deere, Kubota, Kioti, etc, you have the option of going over their head to the district or territory manager. With a grey market dealer it is different. It is up to them as to what they deem falls under their warranty. It sounds like in the case of this guy his warranty is based on the importer he gets his tractors from, again not much recourse. You had mentioned in an earlier post about buying a Chinese machine. You will find the same thing with the independent Chinese tractor dealers. Most of their warranties aren't backed by a big corporation that can absorb a $1000 repair to save face. You can't just call 1-800-Jinma and voice your problems. If you go the Chinese route it would be in your best interest to go with one of the guys that frequent this forum or go with Northern or Homier. )</font>

After reading the Chinese Tractor Forum I have almost decided against a Chinese Tractor. If I can get the info on that package deal for Massey Ferguson again... I may consider them. I will NOT go through this again. I have learned my lesson.

Jim

/ BUYER's BEWARE of WARRANTY's #9  

<font color="blue">When this comes into play, Go up the ladder! Request that a Factory Field Rep look at it and talk to You . </font>
In many cases, when you buy a gray market Chinese tractor, there is no ladder, there is no field rep, and the manufacturer is in the Far East. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I look at a tractor purchase, any major purchase actually, as a series of individual decisions or actions that increases or decreases the probability I will be happy with the purchase. Note that these are not guarantees, just increasing or decreasing the odds.

Increase Probability of Happiness
Large dealer
Major brand
Talk to references
New tractor

Decrease Probability of Happiness
Small dealer
Minor brand
Used/refurb tractor
Gray market
Chinese tractor

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">When this comes into play, Go up the ladder! Request that a Factory Field Rep look at it and talk to You . </font>
In many cases, when you buy a gray market Chinese tractor, there is no ladder, there is no field rep, and the manufacturer is in the Far East. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I look at a tractor purchase, any major purchase actually, as a series of individual decisions or actions that increases or decreases the probability I will be happy with the purchase. Note that these are not guarantees, just increasing or decreasing the odds.

Increase Probability of Happiness
Large dealer
Major brand
Talk to references
New tractor

Decrease Probability of Happiness
Small dealer
Minor brand
Used/refurb tractor
Gray market
Chinese tractor )</font>

Unfortunately I am finding this out the hard way. This is so true, People take heed to this info... it will make your life much simpler and Much More Happiness!!

Jim