buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or?

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #111  
OKAY so, for those who say I should go bigger... There's a 'full blown' M7060 with LA1154 loader my dealer just got in...optioned the way I want it with 12x12 power shuttle, 3 remotes, top & tilt, 3rd function, KSR shockless ride, canopy, and a set of 42" forks for the same dang price as the others mentioned....Seems like a whole lot more tractor for the same amount of money....only makes sense to go with the M....lol...Went to go see it, I like it. lol

probably my final decision if I were to go Orange. :)

No decision to make. The dealer made it for you. That is a very nice premium utility tractor. Buy it, buy once, and be happy. Pics are mandatory.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #112  
No decision to make. The dealer made it for you. That is a very nice premium utility tractor. Buy it, buy once, and be happy. Pics are mandatory.
For your size property, trust me once you get in on your land, it will not seem to big.
Power shuttle is nice. Minimum clutch work.

I do a lot of roading on my small place and visiting neighbors, so it is a wash at not having HST for loader work. You will hardly miss not having HST.

You may want someday to get a small 30 HP HST CUT.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or?
So you can get an M7060 optioned how you want for the same cost as an MX5200? WOW, either the M is very low or the MX is VERY high. Whatever, the M is way more machine. :thumbsup:

The other quote I posted was what, somewhere in the high 40's? that was with multiple implements, box blade, forks, grapples I think. If I'm going to spend that much I think I'd rather have a little bigger tractor with loader and box blade, and not buy ALL the implements all at once, like some of you mentioned...

For your size property, trust me once you get in on your land, it will not seem to big.
Power shuttle is nice. Minimum clutch work.

I do a lot of roading on my small place and visiting neighbors, so it is a wash at not having HST for loader work. You will hardly miss not having HST.

You may want someday to get a small 30 HP HST CUT.

That's what I'm a little worried about, I don't want to go TOO big. When I get closer to finally signing that line, I'm always thinking, "am I REALLY going to use all this tractor?" Some days when I'm working out on the ranch, I think to myself "the HE** with this, I'm getting that tractor".. then other days I think, "do I have $40K dollars worth of stuff to do? LOL. Guess as long as I live out here, I will, if I don't die in the next 35-40 years..

The box blade is a Gearmore 4G4-84, It's pretty dang big, 1400 lbs.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #114  
Smaller would probably do, but you definitely have enough that bigger is going to get things done more quickly, which will give you more time to do more things. You still won't have time to kick back and drink mojitos non-stop, but I don't think many on this board want to.

also, insurance (KTAC) is about $60 a month for the m6070, or $720 a year..

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #116  
High $40k is a lot of money to finance. 45,000 @ 5 years is 750 a month interest free. Carry that out to 6 years is 625 a month interest free. That is a BIG payment to make every month. If you carry it out to 7 years you might not get interest free. 7 years would be 535 a month. In your very first posts you were trying to keep around a $20k budget. 25,000 @ 5 years is 416 a month interest free. 25,000 @ 6 years is 347 a month interest free. These numbers are with no money down.

I know you need a tractor for the property you are on. It will definitely make your life better. If money is not a concern I would say go with the big tractor. If money is a concern go with a 30 to 35 hp tractor. It might not do everything, but it will do a whole lot more than what you can do now and they are nice. If you can get a decent interest rate from a credit union or similar financial institute you might want to consider a 10 year old 40 or 50 hp tractor with around 500 to 1000 hours. Plus some of the older tractors are really nice and in some ways better than the newer tractors. My tractor is 10 years old and is as strong as the day I bought it. I could not afford any attachments for my tractor until I paid it off.

I would hate to see someone go into a debt that hangs over your head like a heavy anchor. I am sure you have looked into all this but it never hurts to look at the numbers to put everything into perspective.

WHV1977, I appreciate your input . :) I have had a couple months to think about all you mentioned.

My plan was to put down 20% for 6 years interest free and pay for the Gearmore 4G4-84 box scraper and pallet forks with cash.

I was looking at a McMillen X975 PHD and a set of grapples for a later purchase.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #118  
I would second the concerns raised by WVH1977. Last thing you need is an albatross mortgage payment hanging around your neck for six or seven years.

I've looked back at your original several posts where you outline the scope of work. A couple of things stand out. First is that while there are hundreds of acres in this property, you will actually only be working in a relatively small part of that land. Second is that lots of that land is hilly and won't be practically accessible to a CUT. It seems that you will be working mostly in ??10-20 acres of that whole area and doing mostly general chores after a basic clean up.

If my assessment of the work to be done is correct, then a 70 hp M is really much more tractor than you need and too expensive especially since you'd need to drop some critical implements (grapple especially) in order to afford it. Honestly, it is almost like needing a pickup and utility trailer to get some work done and going out to buy a good deal on an F350 but needing to drop the trailer as part of the sale. You end up with more truck than you need and missing a critical implement. Better to just get the F150 and trailer.

If the tractor is to generate income then you can perhaps justify the big M but if you are really just cleaning up the homestead and maintaining a dirt road then you could do that with a much less expensive set up that would avoid the monthly payment albatross. I'd personally think that any tractor between 30-40 hp with a decent loader (1500lbs + lift), a light duty grapple and even a standard duty box blade and PHD would do you just as well as the equipment outlined in your original quote. A standard bucket and grapple are WAY more useful than a 4n1 bucket especially when you are working on your own property and can switch implements. A 4n1 is really a contractors tool when you can only have a single implement on a job.

You might seriously want to just rent a tractor for a week or two in order to clean up the area around the homestead. That would give you a much better feel for how big a tractor you really need. There really isn't anything on your list of tasks that I couldn't have done with my 20hp Kioti with a grapple and smaller implements. If time is money then a bigger tractor makes sense but if this is just to help clean up and do general maintenance chores then 70hp is way overkill. And, final word, I wouldn't dream of any tractor deal that postponed purchase of critical implements, especially the grapple, for the work you need to do.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #119  
I would second the concerns raised by WVH1977. Last thing you need is an albatross mortgage payment hanging around your neck for six or seven years.

I've looked back at your original several posts where you outline the scope of work. A couple of things stand out. First is that while there are hundreds of acres in this property, you will actually only be working in a relatively small part of that land. Second is that lots of that land is hilly and won't be practically accessible to a CUT. It seems that you will be working mostly in ??10-20 acres of that whole area and doing mostly general chores after a basic clean up.

If my assessment of the work to be done is correct, then a 70 hp M is really much more tractor than you need and too expensive especially since you'd need to drop some critical implements (grapple especially) in order to afford it. Honestly, it is almost like needing a pickup and utility trailer to get some work done and going out to buy a good deal on an F350 but needing to drop the trailer as part of the sale. You end up with more truck than you need and missing a critical implement. Better to just get the F150 and trailer.

If the tractor is to generate income then you can perhaps justify the big M but if you are really just cleaning up the homestead and maintaining a dirt road then you could do that with a much less expensive set up that would avoid the monthly payment albatross. I'd personally think that any tractor between 30-40 hp with a decent loader (1500lbs + lift), a light duty grapple and even a standard duty box blade and PHD would do you just as well as the equipment outlined in your original quote. A standard bucket and grapple are WAY more useful than a 4n1 bucket especially when you are working on your own property and can switch implements. A 4n1 is really a contractors tool when you can only have a single implement on a job.

You might seriously want to just rent a tractor for a week or two in order to clean up the area around the homestead. That would give you a much better feel for how big a tractor you really need. There really isn't anything on your list of tasks that I couldn't have done with my 20hp Kioti with a grapple and smaller implements. If time is money then a bigger tractor makes sense but if this is just to help clean up and do general maintenance chores then 70hp is way overkill. And, final word, I wouldn't dream of any tractor deal that postponed purchase of critical implements, especially the grapple, for the work you need to do.

I really don't understand the fear of buying used. $15-20 K buys a lot of tractor, especially out of state.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #120  
I really don't understand the fear of buying used. $15-20 K buys a lot of tractor, especially out of state.

I have this mental block that has been impregnated into my peanut brain that tells me buying used is buying someone's else's headache. I know there are some great deals out there if you look long enough but there isn't a warranty with it and when it comes to motor and transmission work, well it can get pretty ugly$$$$!