Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD?

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #11  
Bob, I have only been usng my tractor for the last 5 months but I must admit I have been surprised by the number of times 4wd has come in handy.

I too debated if it was worth the upgrade cost, but as someone else said you can't add it later, and the first time it gets you through a tough spot you sure are glad you have it.

As for the 4310 being easier for the wife to use, I am sure that is the case, however, once I gave my wife the once over on the controls she has been able to operate the tractor with no problem.

Best of luck in your decision.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #12  
OK, I stand corrected, since the gears are all spinning, NOT using the 4WD should not be an issue, although I still feel that it will need SOME use. NEVER using it would mean LOSING it...

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD?
Thanks to everyone for the many replies. This is really a great web site!

Looks like I will be buying a 4310 with 4WD. The best price I have for one with e-Hydro, R4's, and a hydraulic package for adding a FEL later is $15,200. A 430 FEL is $3,200 more, and if I buy any two implements I get a $300 discount on the implement price.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #14  
4WD is not really necessary unless you are using a loader. If you are a farmer, than you already know to stay off your fields until they are dry. Most of the time, if you find yourself in a spot needing 4WD, than you shouldn't be there anyway. All you need is filled tires or wheel weights. Spend the extra on an attachment.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #15  
IHC,

If you go to Bob's first post he mentions his uses. At least one of his intended uses (pulling a trailer) and I would believe some of the misc. uses will probably need to be done without waiting for optimum ground conditions.

So the $1100 question is, "Is it worth $1100 to be able to use the tractor whenever you want". My vote would be yes.

Bob

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #16  
"NEVER using it would mean LOSING it..."

I do not beleave you or anyone can prove that statement. I heard it is true about Sex, But I don't buy that eather.

A machine does not feel nelected and quit working from un=use.

DPR

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #17  
When i was in the market for a used tractor, I looked at the 2wd but got a 4wd. It was well worth it too. My yanmar doesnt have a FEL on it but the 4wd is a definate plus. Last time i loaded my yanny on the trailer, It wouldnt go up the ramps in 2wd. Flipped on the 4wd and it climbed right up. I pulled a brush hog behind it last fall but even on dry ground, I needed the 4wd when the mower got caught on something and the rear tires spun. The R1s are great but they tend to dig in so fast, getting the tractor more stuck. Most of those times, i just use the diff. lock to get it out. I reccomend a 4wd, it is well worth the extra expense.

Check the date on this thread you just resurrected...I am sure after 6 years the OP made up his mind;)

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #18  
I'd never buy a 2WD CUT unless it was strictly for finish mowing a fairly lever yard and had no loader.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #19  
Agree, big time, 4WD has saved me a bunch in slippery conditions.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #20  
[My question is if the 4WD option is worth the extra cost and possible maintenance in my application?)

4wd is a no brainer in my opinion. Get into a gully or ditch one time without it and forget it...you would have wished you had it. Also, without chains the 4wd will go through most snowy situations that the 2wd will struggle (for example, going to the barn 1/4 mile away in deep wet snow). Only exception is if you have a really big tractor with giant tires -then 2wd usually does fine.