buying a ford 1710

/ buying a ford 1710 #1  

Anonymous Poster

buying a ford 1710

I'm looking at a Ford 1710 with a Shibaura engine. I dont know anything about these engines. Can anyone tell me good or bad points to look for in these.

/ buying a ford 1710
Re: buying a ford 1710

Like anything, it's what care the unit has received. Oil and filters are sometimes ignored. An air filter can become totally filthy in a few hours of some types of use and allow engine to be damaged. Using the clutch to "help" move objects to big for the tractor to "normally" move is very destructive. Some guys drive gear tractors by trying to "time" the gearshifts. Great if you can do it, I saw one guy "crunch" his tractor multiple times in the few minutes I watched him.

All that being said, I've owned an 83 1710 for 17 years, it has done everything I've wanted and more. Has 1300 hours on it. Looks battle weary form all the branches that have slapped it and jabbed it (and me), but mechanically I wouldn't hesitate to load it up and take it out in the boonies to work. Lots of oil and filters, no other parts have been needed except for when I thought I'd use a radiator cleaner to flush system. BIG MISTAKE, next day water pump started leaking. Tried soaking it in clean antifreeze overnight. I think the cleaner took the grease off the bearing. Others I've talked to have had similar good luck, at least with the one-owner rigs.

I recently stopped using it as I wanted bigger (L35) and smaller (BX2200) units. Still have a tremendous soft spot for it and do not look forward to getting it all fixed up to sell. We're old friends, have been scared to death a few times while sitting on the seat (my fault). Can't go on much longer, forum boss will make me repost to new "In Love With Your Tractor" section! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ buying a ford 1710 #3  

Hush! Do I hear violins?

/ buying a ford 1710

Great tractor. Purchased mine in 1985 has approx. 980 hrs.Had to replace water pump and part in starter moter.Just be careful not to run out off fuel, they are a bear to reprime.

/ buying a ford 1710 #5  

Quiet I have tears in my eyes /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The 1710 is a tough little tractor thats for sure if its in good shape you will love it.

/ buying a ford 1710 #6  

Funny, but Del doesn't strike you as the sentimental type until he starts talking about tractors. I wonder if hearing that would offend his wife? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ buying a ford 1710 #7  

I got mine with 475 hours on it. No engine problems. Started easily last winter. I did have to bleed the bowl and pump 3 or 4 times after changing the fuel filter. Next time, I'll tap the bowl, let more fuel come out and repeat before starting the engine.

Only problem so far is the steering has more play than I'd like, and I can't take it out with the sector adjustment. So, I'll probably be into a few parts, but New Holland seems to have good parts support for these tractors.

/ buying a ford 1710 #8  

TomG, I,ve got a Ford 1910 with only 765 hrs with a lot of steering play also. The Ford/NH repair manuel says the sector screw can only be adjusted with the tractor running-something to do with the power steering assist I suppose.

RCH

/ buying a ford 1710 #9  

Thanks. My owner's manual doesn't mention starting the engine, but my repair manual does. Guess I thought I wouldn't have to read to repair manual if the owner's manual described the adjustment. I've been wrong before