buying a small used Dump truck..

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #11  
I keep reading about commercial insurance being higher. I have commercial insurance. Not on a truck that big though. For the trucks I've insured as commercial the insurance has been far cheaper than if I insured them as personal vehicles. Talk to your agent.

Tires/wheels can be an issue as some of those old sizes are scarce. I had forgotten about that. Some guys replace those obsolete sizes with wheels off newer rigs.

I don't think air brakes were available on an F500. I wouldn't worry about converting to disc brakes. Just make sure the drum brakes are in good shape.

Check into ag plates or mileage plates.

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #12  
Make sure your tractor can lift and dump into the bed. My Jinma will just clear the F700

Chris

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #13  
gravel 1.jpg

After owning a 76 Chevy C30 12' dump, which I constantly overloaded due to a the large bed and ample big block power LOL I moved up to a 65 F600. Its just a little heavier than your F500. It has the 330 FT motor (same series engine as your '68), 4 speed and 2 spd rear. The one ton dumps are great for mulch and dirt, etc, but its just too easy to overdo it. You'll end up making 5 trips with the smaller truck to equal what the big one can do in two loads.

Even with the rear stuck in hi gear she'll take 5 ton easily and gets similar mileage, and will climb any hill at a walking pace. 4 wheel drum brakes are power assisted and will stop the 20k lb truck in reasonable distance.
I prefer it to the newer trucks that may have slightly higher GVWR but more emissions/electronics/etc. To me the '65 feels like a large F100, and was thousands cheaper than an f450 diesel. I've got $1500 in it, including a set of nice recap drive tires.

Beware certain 80's F600 and 800 trucks with hydraulic brakes - they used a complicated Lucas setup that is a pain to service. They also had 500+ cu in gas motors that were pretty piggish.

IMG_0512.jpg

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #14  
Yes , an old dump truck is certainly handy . Then you go to use it and spend all day fixing something . I had an old f-700 that I used for septic work . Good old truck , but when you needed it there was always something to fix . I found it easier and cheaper to hire a tandem . They could haul 2X what I could and they were not a liability . I know you are wanting to do you're own thing , just trying to help .

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #15  
Yes , an old dump truck is certainly handy . Then you go to use it and spend all day fixing something . I had an old f-700 that I used for septic work . Good old truck , but when you needed it there was always something to fix . I found it easier and cheaper to hire a tandem . They could haul 2X what I could and they were not a liability . I know you are wanting to do you're own thing , just trying to help .

I wish I could do that, but around here what I paid for the truck would cover the freight for maybe 8 to 10 loads, and we're only 1/2h from the gravel yard IF you can get the truckers to return your call! Or they're afraid to back down the driveway and want to dump the load at the road. When the project is done selling the truck gets most of my money back.

In Ohio we're allowed to Farm plate large trucks, which is about $130/6 mos. My truck qualifies for Antique plates but technically you're not supposed to haul with them...although I don't know anyone who's ever been stopped for it.

Also our insurance didn't differentiate between dumptruck and pickup, and gave me the same rate as an F100.

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #16  

This is true. If we need over 20 tons the pit will deliver for $75 flat upto 25 miles in a quad. It would take us 4 trips and over $100 in fuel.

Chris

/ buying a small used Dump truck..
It would be seldom used to haul gravel but I'm sure it will from time to time, Main use would be to haul lighter materials such as mulch or top-soil, perhaps hauling out scrap's cleanup debris, etc,etc, ...
and yes the size of the truck is the largest factor, I need a low bed size as possible in order to reach over it with my small tractors bucket,
I'm supposed to go this weekend to check it out, and to see if we can come close to a price that will satisfy us both,
currently asking 2500 ... I'm going to shoot for under 2K...... that is if it is at all worth the investment,:cool:

/ buying a small used Dump truck.. #18  
I use a 05' , F-350 daully, 6.o 4x4. I have a 6.5x14 gooseneck dump. does what i need. Got commercial insurance . About 1/3 the price of my 01' F-150, insurance. $250 to$350 every 6 months. good luck.