Buying a tractor

/ Buying a tractor #1  

Dryland

We bought 4.5 acres which has a small wetland in the back corner, about 1.5 acres will have a 2 stall horse barn that will use 3 rail fencing, another portion will be some lawn area and some will remain "woodsy".

We had the bramble and berry vines removed but there is a need to do some smoothing, dragging to pull up small branches in the soil and generally get control of the land. We'll be digging some fence posts, etc.

Suggestions on a small tractor that could serve as a good general purpose unit? New to this so don't assume I know much.

Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Buying a tractor #2  
Look at a Massey Ferguson 1528. It is 28HP, either a 9x3 gear transmission or 3-range hydrostatic. They are competitively priced and a good tractor for the size operation you are looking for.

/ Buying a tractor
Just got off the phone with the local Kubota dealer who suggested I stop by and take a look around. He claims that Kubota's come with a 3 year warranty, rarely have major problems and handle a wide range of attachments.

I asked about new vs. used and he commented that if I can find one with a reasonable # of hours that's been well maintained I should be fine. This dealer also picks up any units with waranty issues, takes it back to their shop, delivers the repaired unit and supplies a loner if necessary.

/ Buying a tractor #4  
I just bought a Kubota BX2230 for my 5 acres, with the intent to do most of what you are doing (I just posted a fairly detailed review of this new tractor on the review page, which is intended for folks new to tractors because I myself am new to tractors). The Kubota I bought is considered a subcompact Tractor--so its in the smallest class of tractors that are capable of what larger tractors can do, but on a smaller scale. I did quite a bit of research and from what I could see, this was the best cholce for me (the 2230 has been replaced this year with the 2350).

I have seen some people around here say that the BX line of Kubota tractors have rear 3 pt. hitch system which can be tricky (limited) when using it for a post hole digger (for fence construction). You might want to look into that. I've also heard a number of people say that the backhoe on the BX 24 is a nice addition, but maybe isn't worth the extra expense. Whatever you do, make sure you buy something with a front end loader. I hadn't planned on getting one, and its all I've been using for the past several weeks, and by years end, the FEL may get more use than the mower. And if you do get the FEL, get some weight for the rear end of your tractor. I bought a ballast box for weight. Its a cheap alternative to other rear implements ($149), which can also be used as a tool box when the FEL is off the tractor. I just drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the rear lip of mine tonight so I can use it tomorrow for toting pruning tools around in the box, while also pulling a utility car behind the ballast box with dirt, rakes and a shovel to fill holes in the yard. I also had them put windshield washer in the rear wheels for better traction and balance.

/ Buying a tractor #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just got off the phone with the local Kubota dealer who suggested I stop by and take a look around. He claims that Kubota's come with a 3 year warranty, rarely have major problems and handle a wide range of attachments.)</font>

That's true. Also true of other brands.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I asked about new vs. used and he commented that if I can find one with a reasonable # of hours that's been well maintained I should be fine. )</font>

That's true too.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This dealer also picks up any units with waranty issues, takes it back to their shop, delivers the repaired unit and supplies a loner if necessary. )</font>

Any good dealer will do this within some specified mile limit. That or they will send the truck out and fix it on site.

Cliff

/ Buying a tractor #6  
Dryland:
Welcome to TBN! There are a lot of solid tractor brands in the marketplace. I suggest you visit your local tractor dealerships and test drive some tractors to get a feel for each brand. Comfort level with the dealer is as important as with the tractor ultimately. Specifications and prices are generally relatively close within tractor class for the major brands and each brand will have some trade-offs when comparisons are made. As you mentioned that you had some wetland area ground clearance may be a concern. SCUT's usually do not have the ground clearance as a CUT. I finally upgraded from a SCUT to a CUT for the CUT's increased ground clearance, power, weight, and increased front and 3PH lift capacities. Good luck on your search! Many of us at TBN are more than willing to help you spend your money (and help you justify your purchases with "the comptroller" (AKA "she who must be obeyed" in my situation) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jay

/ Buying a tractor
Ok...we just went by the local Kubota dealer who has been in business since 1986. We looked at the 7510 and the 7610. He quoted me a price of $13,500 for the 7510 with a FEL and a box for leveling/smoothing. If I want the 7610 it's $1,000 more. I have my choice of the three tires; it's serviced and delivered to my property.

The MF dealer is about 40 miles away. The local JD dealer has a poor service reputation. So, from a service standpoint the Kubota looks to be the best bet.

How's the $13,500/$14,500 price (before sales tax)?

Any other thoughts for me?

/ Buying a tractor #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How's the $13,500/$14,500 price (before sales tax)? )</font>
About average I would say from what I've seen of the same models.
John

/ Buying a tractor
Ok...I bought the 7510 with a 302 FEL and a box/scaper for $13,500 + tax delivered. 3 year warranty with free pickup/repair/return + a loner if needed for warranty issues. Being delivered today. Guess I need to learn how to operate it and not hurt myself.