Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #11  
I have a 250-300 gallon overhead diesel tank, and they deliver fuel to me. I have a tax ID number for the farm diesel, but no kind of other special permits. I did not know any were necessary.

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( GaryBDavis,

Whatever route you decide to take, new or used, don't forget you will need to obtain a license/certificate from the State of Texas for your new fuel site if you want a bulk distributor to deliver diesel to your tank. If you decide to through with this PM me and I'll look up the link to get this going. Probably takes about 3 weeks. It's free, so might as well apply for it now.
)</font>

O.K. to be more specific about my comment above, you need a "Texas Diesel Fuel End User or Agricultural Exemption Signed Statement Number Registration" This is actually what I was talking about earlier. Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif to mislead anyone; I didn't have the form in front of me. Here is the link to the PDF form.

http://www.cpa.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/ap-197.pdf

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #13  
To be even more specific, this is what I was told by Tex-Con Oil Company in Austin. So maybe other distributors may not require it or some or all of us are misinformed. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #14  
Correct. This is the form you need to fill out if you want to be able to purchase red diesel, wheter you want it delivered, or if you pick it up yourself. Before I had my tractor I had highway diesel delivered to my storage tank so I did not have to go to the pump. I did not need any forms or permits for this. The permit is just for buying dyed diesel. It takes about 5 minutes to fill out. Just go to the comptrollers office.

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #15  
Until about 3 years ago, you had to send in that form (actually a much, much shorter, simpler form) and get that end user ID number from the Comptroller and you could buy undyed diesel fuel for off road use without paying the taxes, which is what I did; never used any of the dyed fuel. On the old form you were simply swearing that you would not resell any of it, not use it in any on road vehicles, not buy more than X amount per month (some really high number; 10,000 gallons if I remember right). And a few years before that, you didn't even have to have the number; you simply signed a form at the distributor's office for them to keep on file stating that it would be used for off road use. Like everything else, they keep making it more and more complicated.

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #16  
For red diesel, I just had to show them where my tank was and pay the bill. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #17  
Hmmm,

Sounds like things vary greatly by state.

I have a 550 gallon tank that I was using for unleaded gas.
I had no problems getting the gas delivered.

But....
Have you contacted your farm or homeowners insurance company? Can't speak for farms but on a regular homeowners policy, they don't like large fuel tanks. I think there's a limit of something like 25 gallons. My tank is sitting empty pending what's required.

Brian

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #18  
I'd be tempted to just buy a new one. The problem with storage tanks is that you can never really trust them and once they leak you can have a real problem. (I had an underground tank for gasoline and finally decided to decommission it.)

An above ground tank is easier to inspect and unless the used one is in perfect shape, I'd rather start out with new.

/ Buying a Used 300 Gallon On Site Fuel Tank #19  
The insurance companies don't seem to have a problem with a heating oil tank. I'd say my diesel tank is less of a risk becuase there is no plumbing on the bottom port.