Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #11  
Eddie,
Most that you have mentioned are good machines, one of the biggest keys to machine selection is the dealer. If you have some serious time to do some reading check out... http://www.lawnsite.com/

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed.
I've been reading up on Lawnsite and enjoy the website. There are some great stories over there about dealing with clients and some really wacky people that they have to work for!!!! As for mowers, it does appear that all of the top brands are used by them. I can't narrow down one over another, but have been concentrating on issues that they have and how well they are resolved.

Dealer support is everything and my biggest reason for what I will buy.

I test drove the Scag yesterday and was, REALLY impressed. The Kubota is nice too, but doesn't have as many features as the Scag, or seam as heavy duty, but costs a grand more for the same sized cut and power. A big difference is the Scag has a water cooled Kawasaki engine with duel hydraulic oil coolers for each pump. Nobody else has this. Another thing that none of the others have is a comfortable seat. Scag has a very nice seat. It's a simple thing, and I find it hard to believe a big price difference, but the seat on the Scag is just allot nicer then the other brands.

Of the other brands that I've seen so for, their decks are thinner, there hydraulic motors are cooled with plastic fans over them as well as plastic parts all over the place. None seem to have as big of tires on them, and soem don't have any way to grease the front spindles.

The Grasshopper dealer really went out of his way to discourage me on his machine. He kept telling me how it lacked tracktion and that mowing to the waters edge of my pond and backing up would never work. He is the New Holland dealer, and has a nice shop, but was a little too desperate to sell me a machine. I hate the high preasure, lets bring it out to your place right now and work out a deal approach. I really lost interest in it because of this.

The ExMark and Hustler are nice machines, drive good, but seem to lack the overall mass and for a better word, pressense of the Scag. For the HP and 60 inch cut, they are all priced in the same range, but lack the water cooled engine and hydraulic oil cooler.

Torro, Landpride, Snapper, Cub Cadet, and Country Clipper are just not in the same leage as the others and of no interest. Deere has me nervous. For every great story I read about somebody who has one, I read another with problems. I didn't go to the dealer to check out their commercial stuff because I just don't trust them. The ones I saw at the box stores were pretty sad and one was leaking hydraulic oil on the floor of Lowes.

Bad Boy and Ferris don't have a dealer close to here. Tractor Supply sells Bad Boy, but they can't even keep their shelves supplied with what they normally sell. There is no way that I would buy anything from them that would require maintenance or repair.

The Scag dealer is also where I bought my Echo trimmer and both of my Stihl chainsaws. I never thought I'd pay that much money for a lawn mower, but he has one Wildcat left, and just sold his last Tiger to the University Hospital. He actually sold them two and had to get the other from Texarkana.

He said that these are the last of the 2008's and the price list for the 2009's will increase about ten percent. I don't know if that's a sales tactic, or not. None of the other dealers are running out of mowers like he is.

The cities of Tyler, Bullard, Flint as well as Tyler Water District and the University of Tyler all use Scag. He's been selling them for over 20 years and said he has over ten grand in filters, belts and replacement parts for them in stock. From what I can tell, it looks like a Napa store with the racks of parts he has behind the counter.

His final price is $8,500 with a tank of gas and delivery.

Eddie

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #13  
I wouldn't drive any mid-mount ZTR too close to the waters edge, I have been stuck twice now with my Grasshopper, it weighs 1360lbs, turf tires and a waters edge do not go well together. Once one tire hits the slick stuff it's all over...it's time to fetch the Jeep.
I do not have any problems with traction on dry ground.

I see lots of the commercial guys here in the Dallas area using Scags, I don't think you could go wrong with a Scag product.

I think Kubota puts more into their Diesel line-up than they do on their gas models.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed.
Yesterday moring, I bought the Scag Wildcat. It's a 60 inch mower with the Kawasaki 26hp, water cooled engine commercial mower. I more then doubled my budget on this and will be struggling for awhile to deal with this, but I think in the long run, it was the smart way to go. Final price was $8,500 with a tank of gas and delivery. I tried to get a sunshade thrown in too, but he was out of stock and I really wasn't sure if I even wanted one.

They delivered it right after lunch, but I was busy with a client, so didn't get to try it out until later in the day.

I never even thought of taking any pictures of it, I just had to give it a try and see what it could do. My grass hasn't been mowed in over a month in areas, and the front of my property along the highway was bushhoged about three weeks ago. Everything was overgrown and 6 to 9 inches tall!!!!

I realize this wasn't normal for it, and I'd have to take it slow on the taller stuff, but it needed mowing and I have a mower that's worth more then my truck, so I'm going for it!!!

Getting the hang of the handles took a bit, and backing up really confused me, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly. I mowed an open area where I park my equipment first since it is flat and fairly open. Hard to run into anything that way!! I was a little wild at first, but was really impressed with the power and ride that it had. The seat is AWESOME.

Then I did the side area of the house. This is an area where the hogs have been coming around to root up, so it's a little rougher, and there is some johnson grass that's about a two feet tall, but kind of thin. It went through it like it wasn't even there. There were some very thick areas of bermuda that slowed it down, but I just kept the RPM's up and let it cut at it's own speed. That was really thick stuff.

Then the front yard, which is pretty decent and not as bad as the other areas. It mowed it in just a few minutes, while my Craftman ridealong took my half an hour to mow it. Being able to turn like it does really changes how I look at mowing. My planing and pattern for cutting the grass will totally change from now on.

My driveway was a piece of cake as were the fence lines. I mowed the front along the highway, the area inside the fence and some areas around my small pond just for fun. I put 2 hours on it and got more done then I ever thought possible. Now that those areas have been mowed, it will be even faster and easier to keep them mowed and looking good.

What's really funny, is I had dreams last night of mowing grass. I was either doing it for hire, or mowing around my land. They were fun dreams that got me to wondering how weird my life has become living out here. hahaha

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Eddie

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #15  
Eddie,
Scag is a very good machine, I expect you will have lots of good years out of it. Just make sure to keep the radiator clean. As you might have read on lawnsite, some machines with that engine have had some issues with the radiator clogging and taking out the engine. Mostly due to radiator location, easy to get dirty, hard to clean. I don't know where the radiator is located on the Scag. Have fun.. be careful. I am going to look at a used JD ZTR next week. :)

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #16  
Two hours??? You really did spend some time on it:)

Normal??? What's that? I have mowed thick Johnson grass and weeds with mine....ya know the 4' tall stuff, it doesn't get the long stalks the first pass and yea the nice thick Bermuda is slow going if its a little tall but if ya keep at the bermuda weekly then full speed is not out of the question.
I have headlights on my Grasshopper so I do mow occasionally at night with no problems.

If you decide to show the kids how to use the Scag you will probably never see any seat time till they move out.

Congratulations and have fun with your new toy:)

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #17  
I'm very happy with my kubota diesel ZTR also. The fuel economy makes it worth the purchase. Just my opinion...

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #18  
Sounds like a good deal Eddie, I am sure that is a wise choice.

PLEASE though, take it easy on slopes for a while, and if you can find a slope with a runout on the bottom and play on it for a second till you learn where the break away point is. On a ZTR, you can go from being in total control, too sliding down a hill with both wheels turning backwards faster then you realize.

I lent my best bud one of mine, to try for a while when he was considering one for his house. I reccomended against a ZTR for him. I told him to insure that he moved his van from the bottom of the slope prior to starting, he mowed the front, and felt he had a handle on it, so started on the back / slope area.

He said as he was sliding down into the side of his van he kept thinking I would never let him hear the end of it.......... :) He was right :D

(moral of the story, if you loose traction on the side of your lake, it will be a real bad learning experience)

Anyway, sounds like a good deal, keep those radiators etc. clean and have fun.

I will also bet that your kids and better half will get the hang of ZTR controls faster then you :D