buying advice for new 4120

/ buying advice for new 4120 #1  

Riverrat

Bronze Member
I am looking at a new jd 4120 E hydro with FEL and mx5 cutter. I have a quote of 27,000 and am unsure of the deal. I am new to the tractor market and with the help of this forum i have decided on the tractor. I need some help on the pricing. Any comments good or bad are welcome regarding the tractor selection. I own 20 acres woods/ pasture and help maintain a 700 acre hunting camp.( Woods work and food plot maintenance). Thanks for all the help from the other threads.

/ buying advice for new 4120 #2  
Two good places to check on prices are (1) Machinefinder.com and (2) tractorhouse.com

/ buying advice for new 4120 #3  
I was quoted $27,000 for a 4120 Power Reverser & 400X loader (not the hydro) without the MX5 earlier this year; I bought a 3320 with the 300CX loader instead, but I don't maintain as much as you're talking about. I would think you have a decent deal going so long as you are getting the tractor with FEL.

/ buying advice for new 4120
Yes its with the FEL. By the way anyone have this tractor with R1's. Does it rut much. They all have R4's at the dealership. Thanks for the replys

/ buying advice for new 4120 #5  
Hi Riv,

Welcome to TBN!

I recently took delivery of a 4520 (wanted the epto) with R1's and have found it doesn't 'rut' any worse than the 1020 I traded in.
Since delivery, it hasn't rained here until today, so we'll see how it 'ruts' on moist ground tomorrow.
This is how the R1's look at the 72" wide setting.

177351d1283737404-tomorow-tomorrow-its-only-day-sany0730.jpg

more pics here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-buying-pricing/181833-tomorow-tomorrow-its-only-day.html

/ buying advice for new 4120 #6  
If you are going to do much ground engaging work (disc, plow, cultivator, no-till planter, etc), I would go with the powerreverser (gear) trans, which should also nock a couple grand off your cost. The only way I would consider R4 tires is if you need to use it on the lawn. They will just about cut in half the ammount of traction force that tractor can develop compared to R1's which is a big deal for ground engaging foodplot work, and stuff like dragging logs out of the woods. If you feel you must have R4 tires then stick with a tiller for tillage and a blower for snow-removal as these implements have minimal traction requirements. They say R4's have better puncture resistance for woods work, but that dont make up for an absence of traction often needed to skid heavy logs. I use my tractor in the woods a lot and have puntured the fronts a few times, but that is a 2 minute repair since they are tubeless. Luckily, I have never punctured a rear. I have had a 4120/powerreverser/R1's for 5 years and it has performed beyond my expectations. I used to get stuck an average of 2-3 times a season when all I had were 2wd tractors and now I have not been stuck in 5 years. Also, my spring planting is done an average of one month earlier than it used to be. The 4wd/R1's lets me push mountains of snow without needing tire chains which are tough on blacktop driveways. If you plan on doing a lot of lawnmowing or loader work and just a little ground engaging work then you may be better off with the hydro trans. Be sure to get the rear tires loaded as that helps a lot for loader stabilization and most field work. I would also recommend the telescoping lower link ends as these tractors are big, heavy and tough to hitch without. That tractor is too wide for a 5 foot cutter as it wont cover the width, especially if you do get the R4 tires. At least with the more efficient gear trans, there is plenty of power for a 6 foot bush-hog. Also, dont even think about a cab if you want to use the tractor in the woods.

/ buying advice for new 4120 #7  
I agree, foget the cab if you are in the woods..
Open Station is fine if you do not need to be out regularly in bad weather.
R-1 may have better traction, but R-4 w/ 4WD takes a lot to get stuck.
I am not a Brand Snob, But I feel NH is a better value and a heavier built machine in the Utility tractor range than the JD. I am not an Ag Guy, but have owned Compact and a Utility NH for 20 years with only maintanence and no repairs.
It doesn't get better than that......All the Major Brands make good machines.
All depends on the dealer and your comfort level with them.
In the big picture a few dollars either way will not mean much over the life of the machine.
Good Luck.

Johno Geo

/ buying advice for new 4120 #8  
I would think the mx6 would be a better fit on the 4120. If you have any thorn trees, stick with the R4's. I have R4's on my 3320 and have not been stuck yet, thanks to the loader. They do spin in mud more than I like, but I am on the lawn alot.

Also, get extra hydraulics, you will like them alot if you read much on this site. Do the build your own on the Deere website and you can see what kind of discount you are getting from the dealer. JC

/ buying advice for new 4120
Yea. I'm worried about getting stuck. I live in Louisiana. It's wet. But I want to be as versatile as possible. Any more advice on the price. The Kubota grand L 40 is a possibility. However I like the jd better.

/ buying advice for new 4120 #10  
Your price sounds very good. When I bought, 5 years ago, JD and NH were tied for price in that hp range but the JD 4120 significantly outspec'd the NH T?40 that I compared (hyd power/flow, lift height, etc). A similar Kubota (GL4330) was about a grand more than the best price I found on the JD (I think it was around $22K back then with 400X loader, gear trans, and loaded R1 tires). Prices and specs may have changed over the last 5 years, but back then, the choice for JD was a no-brainer. I have used that JD hard over the last year 5 years and it has needed nothing but oil changes every 100 hours. It sounds like you will definitely want the R1's if it is wet where you are because the R4's turn into slicks after making one revolution in mud. It is true, you can often push yourself out with the loader, but you will find yourself doing that a lot more often with R4 tires, and it wastes time and fuel with all that wheel spin. I also like the fact that the JD was American made including engine. My few, surviving WW2-serving relatives would not have thought kindly if I was the first to bring overseas power to our family farm. They have nothing good to say about those from the far east or thier machines.