Buying advice needed please

/ Buying advice needed please #1  

Ray83

Tractor
FORD 2000
Hey, first time poster here. I'm in the market for a new 50-60hp tractor with 4x4 and loader. I have done a lot of research lately but looking for any more opinions. I have 70 acres, 20 being farmed and 50 wooded in western ky rolling hills and 700 acre hunting club next door. The tractor will be used for cleaning field edges, 200 yard gravel driveway, foodplots, possibly bushhogging my 20 acres of field later if I decide to switch to crp, etc. I was looking at 4 tractors. A jd 5055e, Kubota mx5200, nh workmaster 60 and mahindra 5555. When I started out I was thinking of a budget of $25,000 but quickly realized that I would probably be going a little over that. I think I've narrowed it down to 2. The mahindra and nh. They both consistently came out on top on my checklist and seem to be the cheaper of the 4. I'm also not completely out of the used tractor idea but being that I'm financing most of it that the new maybe the smartest way to go. The local Kubota dealer does have a used 2010 Kubota m5040deluxe with almost 1200 hrs in good shape for $19,500, not sure how good of a deal that is. Here's what the rough estimate quotes(without haggling yet) were on the new ones. Nh $28,000 and mahindra$29,000. Any info or opinions on these 2 would be great including pricing. I don't have any experience with a 4x4 tractor or loader. I currently have a 1972 Ford 2000 diesel and we had a nh tn55 several years ago that I really liked. I'm slightly partial to nh because of that but I do like the weight and lift capacity of the mahindra but was surprised that it was more $ then the Nh. Im also located near Mayfield ky if anyone has any dealer recommendations. My wife and I moved here from Georgia a few years ago and don't know much about the local dealers here. We have a caseih that sells nh, a couple jd dealers, a couple mahindra dealers and a couple Kubota dealers less than an hour drive. Thanks:confused:

Last edited:
   / Buying advice needed please #2  
Re: Buying advice need here please

Welcome to TBN....

Check into Kioti, MF, Case and LS tractors in your area. May find some better prices and options.

/ Buying advice needed please #3  

RAY83: Paragraph!

/ Buying advice needed please

Ls doesn't have any dealers close. I looked at a case that is supposedly the same as a nh, it was $900 more. I just don't care for the masseys. I may check out kioti, there is 1 dealer about an hour away. Thanks

/ Buying advice needed please #5  

You have a few Yanmar dealers near you. The YT347/359 are super nice with a lot of standard features. They can be had in the upper twenties lower thirties. Japanese quality, 100 year old company; built from the ground up, including the engine, by the same company.

You have a few Yanmar dealers near you. The YT347/359 are super nice with a lot of standard features. They can be had in the upper twenties lower thirties. Japanese quality, 100 year old company; built from the ground up, including the engine, by the same company.

Thanks, I've actually got a yanmar dealer 8 miles from here. I haven't looked at them up close but they look light and too small for a utility tractor to me. I'll take a closer look but another thing going against them for me would be the dealer, they don't have a great reputation around here from what I've heard.

/ Buying advice needed please #7  
so you're looking for a small UTILITY TRACTOR. I would suggest you go sit on and drive/operate those on your short list. You may find one fits you better than the other. Also meet the local dealer and get a itemized quote for what you want.

I have a JD 5055E I really like it. I was all set to buy a NH Workmaster 55 until I actually went and sat on the JD. It just fit me better, yes it was more expensive, but it is slightly more tractor and definitely more comfortable to me. I paid about 29500 out the door option the way I wanted. Later I did add a second remote, I should have done that before, but oh well. Looking back I wish I had gone with a 5065 and the power reverser, not because I dislike the 9x3 trans, but I wish there were a few more gears in it.

The kubota is smaller, but you can get it with a Hydro, don't know how that plays into your thinking.

looking at the prices on tractor house the m5040 looks like a good deal if it comes with a loader.

Why are you against the Massey?

so you're looking for a small UTILITY TRACTOR. I would suggest you go sit on and drive/operate those on your short list. You may find one fits you better than the other. Also meet the local dealer and get a itemized quote for what you want.

I have a JD 5055E I really like it. I was all set to buy a NH Workmaster 55 until I actually went and sat on the JD. It just fit me better, yes it was more expensive, but it is slightly more tractor and definitely more comfortable to me. I paid about 29500 out the door option the way I wanted. Later I did add a second remote, I should have done that before, but oh well. Looking back I wish I had gone with a 5065 and the power reverser, not because I dislike the 9x3 trans, but I wish there were a few more gears in it.

The kubota is smaller, but you can get it with a Hydro, don't know how that plays into your thinking.

looking at the prices on tractor house the m5040 looks like a good deal if it comes with a loader.

Why are you against the Massey?
I'm definitely going to drive several in the next few weeks when I get closer to buying. I'm trying to feel out some of the dealers to see who may be the best to deal with (already had a couple that didn't seem to willing to spend time on me).
The Kubota did have a loader and I'm not completely against the Massey. I actually just left the Massey dealer and I had misread the specs on line. I looked at the 2605h and like the looks of it. Too many brands and models, I'm more confused now than when I started. Haha
I believe once I start test driving them that will probably help me a lot.
Thanks

/ Buying advice needed please #9  
the massey 2607 is available as a hydro it would be on the smaller side. where as the 4707 would probably be too big

/ Buying advice needed please #10  
the massey 2607 is available as a hydro it would be on the smaller side. where as the 4707 would probably be too big

I also going to recommend a MF 2600H as well. The 2605H is a 55 HP tractor and the 2606H is a 65 HP tractor. One thing good about the 2600H is it has excellent weight for its size. The 2607H is almost a 6000 lb tractor. I'm likely going to go with a JD 5075E when the dealers start getting some 2018 models in but I was set on a 2607H for a long time and am still considering one. They are very basic but very nice looking tractors IMO with good weight and a very nice cash price. (Even though the finance price makes its value not look as good for such a basic tractor)