buying BX2200

/ buying BX2200 #1  

Grant

We are in the market for a new tractor. We have looked at the John Deere 425 (With atachments ie PTO, 3 PT hitch) and we have looked at the John Deere 4100 and are comparing it to the BX2200. My dad has always had John Deere's
I understand the Kubota will last forever..I am almost sold on the BX2200. Tell me why I should buy it over the J.D.
I need info because I know nothing about the Kubota. DO they require much repair? Are parts hard to get? that type of thing.
Thanks,Grant

/ buying BX2200 #2  
Best thing to do is use the search function, enter "BX2200" and you'll see what everyone has said so far. As a new BX owner but not new to tractors it's my 2cents that the 4100 is bigger and taller which can have advantages in rough work. The BX2200 against the 425 is no contest unless you just want a mower. Getting a BX means a REAL 3pt (although tight) 4WD and a much better frame, finger touch steering, the ability to have a much more useable loader. It's also lower than a typical compact tractor, and will be great for my tippy feeling on hillsides. If I could have found an equivalent JD to my BX2200 and L35 it would have been a lot harder to make a purchasing decision. All the light tractors, Kubota, New Holland, John Deere, Yanmar etc seem to be well built. The only units large or small that I've seen numerous negative posts about have been some (I think) Chinese brands. So far mine has shown it can do everything I want and more. I put the box scraper down, started driving and it started pulling up previous "hard" ground. I was sure it was going to be useless for such work, and bought it expecting that as I had other uses for it. Now I find I have another "real" tractor in the fleet!

/ buying BX2200 #3  
Grant;

Having gone through a 2 year search for a large GT or small compact, I agree with Del. Some larger tractors can do more, but cost a lot more. As for comparison to GT's, there is no comparison. Only thing the BX has in common with the JD 425 is price and size. The BX wins by a mile in all other categories. If you factor in the price of Cat-0 attachments for the 425, it becomes way more expensive than the BX with Cat-1's, and it does a lot less.

What I sense, though, is a hesitation about Kubota, the unknown. Let's face it, JD has been around for eons. We all grew up with them. Legends were built. Some conclusions that I found through my searches before buying a Kubota:

The typical Kubota is at least as reliable as (and maybe more) as JD. As Del said, same for NH and others. Unlike the GT market, these manufacturers are building machines for a market which demands high-hours under adverse conditions. That is why there is a higher cost with compacts, it shows in the design. Also, my research has convinced me that all compacts retain there value, exceptionally.

Parts availability question. No concern. After all, Kubota is a US built tractor. BX is built in Georgia. Now, they use some parts shipped from overseas, but so does JD. (The JD 4100 though is an exception, built entirely overseas by Yanmar ).

Kubota is going to be around for a long, long time in the US. The tractors are made and built by a US entity (KUBOTA TRACTOR CORPORATION USA. Headquarters: Torrance, California, USA). After all, it is Kubota that sells more compacts (under 40 HP) in North America than any other (article below). Don't think the market leader is going to walk away!

I believe that there is an analogy to cars. Our parents and even many of us grew up with GM, Chrysler and Ford. Then the Japanese came in. First people laughed and were skeptical. Before long, those Japanese manufacturers were showing Detroit that there was a better way to build, a better quality. Next thing you know, Honda and others are building cars in the US, and Detroit is no longer the innovator (manufacturing methods, quality control, customer responsiveness), just the imitator to stay alive.

For that reference I mentioned:

Kubota quietly finds success in both machinery and engine markets in North
America.
Abstracted from Diesel Progress North American Edition 02/01/99

"Kubota Corp of Japan has slowly built a strong base in the North American machinery and diesel engine markets. As one of the premier manufacturers of both diesel engines and machinery in the world, Kubota consistently turns in impressive sales figures annually. The company is the leading supplier of small farm and utility tractors under 40 hp in North America and is ranked second in the market for small backhoe loaders. It is also second to Melroe in miniexcavators, accounting for about 30% of the market. Kubota's major competitors in the North American market are Caterpillar, Deere, Waldon and Singer."

My sons.

/ buying BX2200 #4  
(How embarrassing!. Good thing I looked at my own post. While playing with my Profile a while back, I added "My sons" to the Hobbies field. Well, I accidentally put it into the signature field instead! People are probably saying, what does this guy think, that he's the Messiah!)

/ buying BX2200 #5  
I've seen some weird signatures, didn't think much of it! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>>></font color=blue>Muhammad
<font color=blue>Forum Master</font color=blue>

/ buying BX2200 #6  
My Kubota was built in Japan. My loader was built in the US. The tires were put on in Georgia, USA.

My dealer gets Kubotas in crates from Japan and assembles the wheels, etc. on all Kubotas less than 68 hp.

I have been searching for a flaw in my Kubota since I received it, but haven't found one yet! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ buying BX2200 #7  
Wen;

I suspect you are correct. I knew that the manufacturing plant was in GA, and made an assumption. After reading your post, I looked at the Owner's Guide and the tractor's plate. Neither identify 'Built in the USA', so I assume not enough of the assembly was performed at GA in qualify under the Domestic Content Law.

Doesn't bother me though. I'm too old to remember the first Japanese cars and consumer electronics that came into the US. People were skeptical at first, but the quality was impeachable. I still have a Sansui amplifier, turner and speakers that were built in 1968. Never repaired it, won't replace it.

/ buying BX2200 #8  
The only domestic content I can see in my Kubota is the Firestone Tires.

Excellent machine, well engineered and well built.

Still can't figure out what fluids came in it and the dealer can't either. Manual said Kubota recommended Super UDT for the hydraulics and the front end, but it is a gear tractor and the super UDT seemed to be developed primarily for the colder climates for the Hydrastatic transmissions.

If the dealer don't know what comes in it, what chance to I have of figuring it out? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Does anyone know how to tell the difference in UDT and Super UDT before I drain this one?

/ buying BX2200 #9  
Compare a sample of it to a sample of regular UDT. The easiest way is to put a tablespoon or two in a glass jar. If what comes out of your tractor doesn't appear noticeably thinner than the UDT, it's not Super UDT.

Mark