Buying Advice Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #11  
I live outside Atlanta and recently purchased just over 7 acres back in my home town. I know that I need a small tractor that has a front loader, mower and a box grader. I also know that I need a tractor that will work over more than just a grassy field (some mud, steep inclines, etc). Finally, the max I would pay for a new one is $18,000. That's what I know, what I don't have a clue about is pricing. I was researching and like the Yanmar 324TLD or 424TLD. My question is...what price would I be looking at for everything that I want on either of those models in Georgia? I also like the Mahindra and Kubota models as well but fear that they would definitely be over my budget.

My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, triple rear hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach) cost about $19K new.

For $18K you have a lot of choices in the 40 hp (engine) range with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, dual rear hydraulic remotes, FEL with 5-ft wide bucket. Look for new tractors with these specs for your 7 acre spread.

Good luck

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #12  
My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, triple rear hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach) cost about $19K new.

For $18K you have a lot of choices in the 40 hp (engine) range with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, dual rear hydraulic remotes, FEL with 5-ft wide bucket. Look for new tractors with these specs for your 7 acre spread.

Good luck

My Kioti DK40se only cost about $17K new back in 2007 too but would be completely out of the OP's price range today. I don't think 18K would get you anything over 30hp even without implements. Realistically to stick with his budget for tractor, FEL, bush hog and boxblade, he'll need to get something under 30hp new or a used tractor.

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #13  
It was overgrown brush and trees but I just had all that removed. My goal in the next 4 months is to begin transforming a portion of it into a home site. So once that is done, I would need to maintain a lawn at least on a portion of it. Other than that, I would use it for creating a driveway and paths and just working the rest of the property for whatever I decide.

Tonydga,

My opinions will be a bit different than most . . but they are still worthy of consideration imo:

1st. You are in Georgia and Kubota, Yanmar, and Iseki (Massey) all make their assembly "home" in Georgia , so prices should be the best you'll find imo.

2. The 3 brands I mentioned are also the 3bI personally considered over 9 years before investing this year. Why? Simple . . Each of those brands builds their own engines for several decades. They also build for many other brands. Finslly they build thebtractors as well as the engines . . so their engineering it matched to the engines.

3. Many on TBN will tell you to use a zero turn mower for lawn . . yet in the real world . . scuts are built and designed for bigger yards and quality cutting. A scut gives you great capabilities on dlopes and hills. And better large zero turn mowers are only a couple hundred pounds lighter than the scut units.

4. A Massey GC1715 with dl95 loader and a "true mulcher mmm" (no side discharge) will run you between 14k and 15.5k depending on your states sales tax. That leaves you enough room for a quick attach for the fel, and several implements too.

5. You are wise to have hired the rough clearing done. Too often it seems people want abtractor to do everything . . but then it only does "average" on the things you do the most and does great on the things you do less.

6. Units I'd recommend considering are the bx2670-1 (or maybe a small b26xx if you want to spend more), massey gc1715, or the yanmar 324 (not 221 imo).

7. Unless you could find a used unit that saves you 7k or more . . I'd get new with a 5 year warranty like the massey or other competitors offer :)

Last edited:
   / Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #15  
I tried to buy used and just couldn't find what I wanted. I just bought a Kubota BX 1879, FEL, ballast box and 54 inch belly mower for $11,900 from Barlows equipment in Kentucky. Free shipping to Florida and no sales tax. I've had a bx 2200 for almost 15 years and love it.

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #16  
I tried to buy used and just couldn't find what I wanted. I just bought a Kubota BX 1879, FEL, ballast box and 54 inch belly mower for $11,900 from Barlows equipment in Kentucky. Free shipping to Florida and no sales tax. I've had a bx 2200 for almost 15 years and love it.

Those BX's are great machines so long as you are not needing to work in thick brush or pastures or rough terrain. I wish I had one to complement my DK40se as they are far better for working on projects near the house or on a lawn.

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #17  
Like others have posted, I would not rule out a good used tractor. You can get a much bigger tractor for less money. Trust me, once you really get to working you'll realize that having more tractor is worth every penny! Nothing against sub compacts, but I haven't missed mine. I get a lot more work done, in much less time. Especially when it comes to brush hogging, moving dirt, and pulling saplings. However a SCUT will be a much better lawn mower than any of the CUT's on the market, and can still move dirt, and run a brush hog.

Here's a few used tractors on my local CL that would be perfect for 7 acres and what you're looking for. I'm sure there are similar examples in your area.

Used 30HP New Holland Tractor with New Loader

2009 Newholland 30 hp 4x4 tractor

New Holland TC34DA Tractor Loader

Can you tell I'm a Ford/New Holland guy? Ha ha

Chris

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #18  
I don't think you need 40 hp. I think 26- 30 would be fine. I recommend an HST 4wd. I do recommend that you look for used around 500 hours or less and compare to what you can get new.

/ Buying First Compact or Sub Tractor #19  
I don't think you need 40 hp. I think 26- 30 would be fine. I recommend an HST 4wd. I do recommend that you look for used around 500 hours or less and compare to what you can get new.
x 2. Good advice.