Buying house plans online

/ Buying house plans online #11  
I agree. I remember this cubby hole in that house my parents built that had to be an oops. It was a cool place to hide as kids. Dad closed it off before they sold the house several years later. The kitchen was the only room on a 4' foundation/crawlspace. That was always the coldest floor in the house and the kitchen sink froze on more than one occasion.
A good designer will do things like keep water line runs as short as possible. Putting a bathroom far away from the water heater at the other end of the house makes for a lot of cold water until it gets warm.

Ha! I found a 6 sq foot area with an outside window walled off in our house when we bought it. On that wall, inside, there were two windows. I was mowing the lawn and there were three windows. HUH? I ran up and looked into the window expecting to see Norman Bate's mom in a rocker, but it was just a walled off empty room. It made a fine closet once I opened it up. Very weird.

/ Buying house plans online #12  
I do a lot of floorplans for people, although not nearly as many in the most recent years. Most of the time, it will start with a plan from online or out of a book. When I make my first drawing based on the dimensions shown on the plans, many of the rooms are not the correct size and the dimensions don't add up, and I assume this is what the plan makers do to make it more difficult to "steal" their plans (and I don't blame them).

I've always thought that the most difficult portion of doing a set of plans is balancing what the outside of the house "needs" to look like, either for curb appeal or to blend in with it's natural and man-made surroundgins, vs. what the owner "wants" the inside of the house to be like. A lot of times, I'll try to get the owner to start with a flow diagram rather than a floor plan, so we can focus on what is important in terms of day-to-day activity. I've noticed too many times an owner will want to focus on details right away and forget about the big picture.

I always give my recommendations about making a house more universal, for resale purposes, and I think in almost every case, the owner has assured me that this is their "forever home, we'll never sell or move". I would guess over half of the homes that I've designed have been sold. My recommendations are very much inline with other's: entry closet, and plenty of closet space in bedrooms, trying to accomodate 3 beds/2 baths if possible, nothing too "unique" interior/exterior finishes, etc. Having said all that, I will ultimately do what the owner wants: one house was a basement house, and none of the bedrooms have any closets: they wanted to use wardrobe cabinets. I will say that in this case, the original owner remains in the house, so at that point, this is not an issue.

I would go with a local designer rather than a set of online plans, just for the variability involved in house design. Whatever you choose, good luck and take care.

/ Buying house plans online #13  
I have bought several internet home plans and built spec homes from them as well as my own home. It's almost certain that you will need to make changes of some fashion to suit your needs. Depending on your local codes, you may need to get the plans stamped by a structural engineer or build it to conform to local codes. I have found the engineer to be money very well spent, as it eliminates local inspector interpretation of building codes. One of my favorite design styles are Donald Gardner homes. Good luck, and as someone already said. Hire a good builder because they will be able to see a potential problem and evade it.

/ Buying house plans online #14  
I've been wading through so many house plan sites it's all a blur. Are there any places TBN members have used they would recommend?
My dad says get some grid paper like he did and draw out what I want. :laughing: That's what he did when he built our last family home in the 70's.
I don't think I have that kind of patience. A co-worker went through a local architect. My plans are an a-frame-ish design with big windows on one end and a walkout basement. I will build myself or pay someone to put the shell up and then take it from there.

I went through that home building exercise in 2005. Bought plans off the Web. Thought I would be my own general contractor. Bought 10 acres (flat pasture). Started to line up subcontractors. At that time the real estate/building boom was in full steam so I figured it would take at least 18 months to get the house built and ready for final inspection. Just for kicks I started looking at manufactured housing. Found what I wanted at Golden West Homes in Chico (3BR, 2BA, 1800 sf). Had it placed on a permanent foundation. Signed the contract for the house in May 2005, foundation poured in Aug 2005, the two sections arrived in early Sept 2005, moved in on 1Feb 2006.

House-1 (1).JPGHouse-1 (2).JPG

I figure that I saved maybe 15-20% on cost, 6-8 months on schedule and added a few years to my life expectancy by going this route.

Good luck