Buying my first tractor

/ Buying my first tractor #1  

Don1970

Tractor
John deere 3032E
Hi guys, i came across this tractor and would like to have your opinion on it. it's a Kubota B2400 HST 4wd. everything look good and the tractor is running good with less than 1300 hrs on it. the only thing is that the 4wd is not working, and according to the owner, it is missing the drive shaft but the front axle is good. so the question is, should i take the owner's word for it? what do I need to look out for? My thinking is, if the driveshaft only cost 300-400, why didn't he put it in to sell the thing for a lot more money? This would me my first tractor so I have zero experience with equipment of sort.

/ Buying my first tractor #2  
I would want to know why the drive shaft is missing, I am thinking there may be other problems with the 4WD and someone took the drive shaft off to convert to 2WD only. There may be a lot more wrong with this tractor and could cost a lot more to fix.

/ Buying my first tractor #3  
Have you checked the oil in the front axle? Strange the drive shaft is missing. Can you jack up the front end and rotate the wheels to feel for rough movement or damaged gears? Might drain a little oil from the axle and see if any metal is in the oil.

/ Buying my first tractor #4  
The price, $3200, looks good IF all it needs is an axle, you can do it yourself and you don't need a FEL.
But $400 in parts may easily translate into $800 parts and labor.