Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #1  

rob0075

Tractor
4052R/B2601
I'm getting ready to buy either a 5075e or a M4D. Currently own a JD 4052r and a Kubota B2601 so I'm not necessarily loyal to either brand, both dealers are rather close and seem good to work with. I've really looked at both tractors and each has things I like. I've heard a lot of people knocking the JD E series for various reasons. Some have issues with it being made in India, I'm not sure how valid that is, there are tons of US companies manufacturing stuff overseas. I really like the Kubotas 6/2 hydraulic shuttle shift with declutch button, the JD only gives you 4 synchronized gears before you need to change one of 3 ranges (stopping) and only a foot clutch. The JD cab seems nicer and I think it had an adjustment to make the powereverser smoother when shifting using the column reverser. Both have the deluxe cabs and most other things are equal including the price of both. The JD weighs significantly more and looks like it has a beefier frame/axles but I'm not sure that makes it any better. Does anyone have any thoughts on these 2 tractors?

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #2  
You stated you really have looked, have you test driven both?

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071
Yes, I have. I like the 6 sync speeds and declutch button of the Kubota but the JD seemed smoother. It will be used for light hay work and loader work around our farm so changing speeds frequently and easily is a must.

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #4  
I looked really hard at a used John Deere 5065e and new Kubota M6070. Almost pulled the trigger on the M6070. I am not doing hay work but drove both. I felt like the Deere had the edge on comfort, ease of use and bulkiness. It is a tough decision but if I were buying new with cab, I would probably go with JD but understand you liking the Kubota trans. Do these tractors have creep gears. Can the Kubota go slow enough if needed?

The JD trans seemed slow enough with the standard 12/12 powereverser. I did notice the Kubota couldn't get that slow however I want the cast rear wheels so I'd be ordering the Kubota and would get the creep option.

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #6  
Based on what you are replying with, I think you would be good to go either way and be happy. Only other thing I noticed when looking was the Deere had a park gear. Does the M4D have a park gear? I liked the fact that Deere had a park gear.

Based on what you are replying with, I think you would be good to go either way and be happy. Only other thing I noticed when looking was the Deere had a park gear. Does the M4D have a park gear? I liked the fact that Deere had a park gear.
Kubota has a park brake lever

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #8  
I had a 5055E for several years. I had a few problems, head gasket, starter motor, bucket controls and some electrical problems. I didn't like the 9-3 transmission reverse was about the same gearing as 2nd so I didn't like it for loader work. I also had a problem with the dealer on warranty work.

If you picked a gear and left it there it worked as intended. It was good for mowing. Plenty of power and weight. Resale was an issue. They have a lot of bad press.

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #9  
I don't know the weight of the Kubota, but I use my 5055e for moving hay as well and weight is a must. I also have a Branson 5520 which is roughly the same horsepower, but it has a shorter wheelbase and is really unstable moving hay bales. My bales are 5x5, sometimes 5.5x5.5 and the JD moves them easily even without a counterweight. The Branson gets a little scary even with a counterweight.

/ Buying new JD 5075E or Kubota M4D-071 #10  
No counterweight.
000_0339.JPG