Buying new rider...single blade or double better?

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #11  
A single blade unit will give a better cut. Especially when you get extreme blade wear.. you may see striping.

One thing though.. single blade limits your cut width.

If you are looking for economy.. I recomend a murray. I have one. I've had it for almost 7 years. It gets annual oil changes.. sparkplugs and air filter cleanings. Perhaps a blade set every couple years. I think I aired the tires a few times.. and had to adjust the blade engage spring once.. and the deck height a couple times... It's on it's second battery. I paid 700$ for the mower. It runs as good now as the day i bought it. I got alot of ridicule from the guys at work that have the huskie, jd and cub mowers. All i can say is that so far.. all our mowers are running great.. and I have paind at minimum, 1/2 what they did, and in some cases a third, and in one case, a quarter. I'm feling happy right now.

Soundguy

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #12  
My mom's old Murray is 12 years old and still going strong with very little maintenance. It's a two blader, 42" cut. I generally see a difference in one and two and two and three blade mowers with the one blade doing the best overall look, and the two blade a little better than three, but the single is just too small a cut for a large property. Lot's of advantages to one, as that's all you have to maintain, a little better cut, perfect for those smaller lawns, but not enough quality difference to justify the time when one has a larger area to work. Unless you just have lots of time! John

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #13  
I completely agree.. single blade is best cut.. multiple blades.. less cut quality.. especially when wear shows up. But cuts down on the time.

Mine is also a 42" cut.. 12.5 hp I believe.

Course.. I'm one of those guys that would bushhog my front yard if the tractor could turn around! ( Wait a minute.. I have.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I've used my 1966 IH cub with 4' belly mower to cut my lawn... )

Soundguy

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better?
Thanks to all for the excellent commentary. I think I'm going with the 42" double bladed Murray I have found at Home Depot for $799.00.

Part of me still wants to go with the single bladed model, but I think I'll err on the side of faster cutting (since I won't be bagging). I'll have to suffer a little extra time sharpening blades, but that's OK.

/ Buying new rider...single blade or double better? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll have to suffer a little extra time sharpening blades, but that's OK.
)</font>
WAIT A MIN: YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TO SHARPEN THEM BLADES /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif don't worry you will get a good cut with 2 blades