Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes?

/ Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes? #51  
On newer trucks, the payload on the door jamb sticker includes the truck as equipped. It includes all fluids and a full tank of fuel. It takes into account everything factory, nerf bars, sun roofs, etc. It doesn’t include drivers, passengers or anything else you put in the truck.

The tow ratings includes a 150 pound driver.

/ Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes? #53  
Hi Everyone,

My husband is looking at a new Ram 1500 Rebel to tow our tractor to the property, but the truck he likes doesn't have the trailer brake control option. Does he need that option? We would only be towing it about 10-15 miles. Can a dealer install it easily? It costs $295 from the factory, but would it cost more installed by the dealer?

Weight for tractor and trailer/attachment would probably be about 9,000 lbs.

10-15 miles, Just drive it there.

/ Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes? #54  
Very viable for 1-2 trips a year if it's not on main roads. At 10mph that's an hour trip. It takes me 15-20 minutes each to load & unload my machine from my trailer and I know what I'm doing due to lots of practice. I just road the tractor to most jobs under a couple miles.

/ Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes? #55  

Agree. We road tractors 20-30 miles per DAY during farming season.
My guess is the OP is buying a truck anyway and he wants to equip it to pull tractor on his trailer.

/ Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes?
I wanted to update you guys on the truck and trailer control brakes. I know some of you guys highly recommended a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and I agree that it would be the best choice, but 3/4 tons are HUGE for a daily driver in city traffic (25 mile drive to work). We thought about getting a less expensive 3/4 ton and keeping the old car, but it's difficult spending $15k or more for a truck that has more than 100k miles on it and it's just going to sit unless we're towing.

We purchased a used RAM 1500 since dealers didn't seem to want to bargain on those new trucks and those monthly payments were way too high, even with his trade. His truck has a 5.7 liter, 3.92, class IV hitch receiver, air suspension and trailer brake control. He's looking at an E-qual-izer weight distribution hitch now and hopefully we can start working on our property with the tractor next weekend.

Here is a picture of hubby's truck. Thank you all for your advice.

Ram1500_TBN.jpg

Last edited:
   / Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes? #59  
Nice looking truck, god luck with all.

/ Buying new truck - Do we need trailer brakes? #60  
I wanted to update you guys on the truck and trailer control brakes. I know some of you guys highly recommended a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and I agree that it would be the best choice, but 3/4 tons are HUGE for a daily driver in city traffic (25 mile drive to work). We thought about getting a less expensive 3/4 ton and keeping the old car, but it's difficult spending $15k or more for a truck that has more than 100k miles on it and it's just going to sit unless we're towing.

We purchased a used RAM 1500 since dealers didn't seem to want to bargain on those new trucks and those monthly payments were way too high, even with his trade. His truck has a 5.7 liter, 3.92, class IV hitch receiver, air suspension and trailer brake control. He's looking at an E-qual-izer weight distribution hitch now and hopefully we can start working on our property with the tractor next weekend.

Here is a picture of hubby's truck. Thank you all for your advice.

View attachment 654747

Looks great!