Chipper buying new wood chipper

/ buying new wood chipper #1  

ihuntbear

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 tym T554 and 1999 Kobota m4700
looking for 8" wood chipper.All kinds on the market but don't have any experience with them.Which one to buy ? need your help.Don't want to spend money on something that won't do the job.People say walenstien $ 3300.00,some say jinma they are on ebay for $ 2000.00. .some guys say buy one with self feed.Need it for my wood lots shredding thorn bushes( 4 to 6 inch at the base ) and other tree tops and branches

/ buying new wood chipper #2  
From what I have heard I would stay away from Jinma. I dont own one but have seen lots of posts with problems and complaints. Check very carefully before you buy.
8" is pretty big. I would rent one for a day. $300 will show you what you are in for.

/ buying new wood chipper #3  
I would also recommend renting a hydraulic feed tow behind unit. I have owned gravity fed chippers and also a hydraulic fed unit and there is no comparison. The hydraulic fed is much faster/easier to use especially with larger diameter material as it prevents stalling. It is also safer as you can stop or reverse the feed instantly.

To chip 8 inch material is going to require quite a bit of PTO HP. Probably 40+ PTO HP. Generally if you are chipping something say 8 inches in a chipper the chipper should be designed for larger material say 10" or 12" maximum as it means less trimming and faster feed. I know my 6" hydraulic fed unit had a 25 HP engine on it and it was SLOW with 6" material.

I sold my last chipper and now have an area were I can make piles with the ends facing the proper way for me to feed them into a chipper. When I get enough piles made up I just rent a chipper for under $200 a day. It take a LOT of rentals to pay for a chipper, especially a new one. But we all like our toys. I purchased the three chippers that I have owned used and was able to sell them for what I paid for them or more after use. That may be an option to for you as Craigslist always has a large number of them for sale.

/ buying new wood chipper #4  
I second what amigauser said. If you plan on doing lot's of chipping a tow behind is the way to go. Do you burn a lot of wood? Then getting an 6-8" chipper would help get rid of a lot of small stuff. As mentioned knots and crooked branches might only be 3" thick but can still get caught in the feed and have to be cut down a bit. Get a unit that has hydraulic feed would be my best advice also.

/ buying new wood chipper #5  
Another fellow Canadian
I agree with the others, rent a few different models and try them. To keep up to a 8 " chipper you need a crew of workers just to keep it feed. And volunteers are hard to find unless you are going to use it for business.
Craig Clayton

/ buying new wood chipper #6  
From what I have heard I would stay away from Jinma. I dont own one but have seen lots of posts with problems and complaints. Check very carefully before you buy.
8" is pretty big. I would rent one for a day. $300 will show you what you are in for.

I've never had any issues with my Jinma chipper.

Wedge

/ buying new wood chipper
i have a fifty hp tractor.Problem with renting no body here rents 3 ph units

/ buying new wood chipper #8  
We have sold Jinma Wodchippers for years, no big problems at all a great value for the money, I also have a 8" Chinese self feed Woodchipper,with some added features that Jinma does not provide.E-mail me for more information if interested. We keep every part for both in stock.
tommy@affordabletractorsalesco.com

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales Co
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

Attachments

• 48a80a8177a1cDSC00070.jpg
    48a80a8177a1cDSC00070.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 48a80ada900beDSC00069.jpg
    48a80ada900beDSC00069.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 48a80b3e09c4dDSC00071.jpg
    48a80b3e09c4dDSC00071.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 1,056
   / buying new wood chipper
how much and do you ship to canada

/ buying new wood chipper #10  
I have this and I run it on a 3710. it works very well and has chipped a substantial amount of brush. I have put up 70 cord of fire wood in the last 3 years and it has chipped up the slash from that work as well as a lot of slash from other brush cutting.

I believe it is a Valby 150, made by the same folks who make Farmi logging winches.

This thing is VERY stout and robust. I have owned it for 12 years and had zero issues with it.

He picture on the right is the most accurate one I could find on the internet. Aparently Valby now calls this model the CH 150 HF (hydraulic feed). Mine is a two stage hydraulic feed. I find it best to make a big pile of brush and then stand there feeding the chipper......... It makes very fast work out of a LOT of brush. nOisy though, I wear ears when running it.

Attachments

• 2010%20wood%20cutting%20002.jpg
    2010%20wood%20cutting%20002.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Firewood%202009%20027.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20027.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 262
  • fullhydrochipu5.jpg
    fullhydrochipu5.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited: