buying replacement parts by mail

/ buying replacement parts by mail #1  

jarbill

Bronze Member
I broke a shear bolt on my Land Pride rotary cutter the other day (Saturday, of course) while I was mowing and I didn't have any spares. That isn't really that bad of a problem, but I started wondering, since it's 65 miles out to where my tractor is and 45 miles to the dealer where I would get the replacement bolts, if I could order those kinds of parts anywhere on the internet and get them shipped to me instead of having to wait until next Saturday to get out to the dealer and get the parts and then go out and replace the bolt on the cutter.

I looked on the internet thinking that some tractor dealership somewhere, or even Land Pride themselves, might sell those kind of replacement parts and ship them, but I couldn't find a single source.

Any input would be necessary, although, like I say, it's not a terrible problem. I'm just looking for a little convenience and time-saving here.:D

Jerry in Texas

/ buying replacement parts by mail #2  
Most shear bolts are just a common grade 2 or grade 5 bolt. Buy in bulk at TSC or parts house and you should be fine.

/ buying replacement parts by mail #3  
I order stuff like that all the time. I order it from home and UPS will have it waiting on my doorstep when I get up to the farm. I've ordered parts, oil, filters. I even had a toothbar waiting for me one time.

But isn't the shear bolt just a 1/2" grade 2 bolt that you can get at any hardware store?

/ buying replacement parts by mail #4  
My tractor was originally sold here in the US but there aren't any dealers left now. Now everything comes by mail from a couple of remaining Yanmar Parts dealers or more frequently, from a couple of excellent gray-market support shops. All are 2-3 time zones from here. This works well, the tractor isn't an orphan.

It's more like owning a Dell Computer, you simply recognise that all support is via online with delivery by mail.

/ buying replacement parts by mail
I actually don't know what kind of bolts they are. This is the first one I broke, and I couldn't find the pieces to look at them.

I did go by the TSC store and see if they had anything labeled as shear bolts or anything, but I didn't see anything.

If I could buy them in bulk, that would be great. I meant to buy a half-dozen or so when I got my tractor and I just neglected to do so. This time, I know better.

Jerry in Texas.

/ buying replacement parts by mail #6  
Just try different bolts in the hole for diameter sizing, then tape measure for the length allowing an extra 3/4" to 1" for the nut and go to TSC and get the unharden (no marks on the head bolts) most of the time these are sold by the pound, so get as many as you think you use in a year. As far as I know there isn't any bolts sold as "Shear Bolts", you just get the generic none hardened bolts. For example I use 1/2" x 3" in my Bush Hog 5' rotary mower. The user manual for your mower should say this or a call or email to the Manufacturer. bjr

/ buying replacement parts by mail #7  
Most of my parts shopping is at one of two dealers. (1 is a Deere dealer, other a Massey Ferguson dealer) I have parts manuals for the lions share of my equipment. What I don't have, the dealer will fax me parts schematics so I can identify part/part #'s. Then they order and have parts drop shipped directly to me OR UPS/USPS ship them my way. The Deere dealer is right on my way home from work, so mostly I just stop by and pick up what I need. Massey Dealer is 62 mile round trip from the house. UPS shipping vs. cost to drive over and get parts...? Advantage UPS. Even UPS overnight is not a lot more than me going after the part.

Get parts manuals where you can. Even if you have to go visit the dealer, it saves time and hassle if you know part #'s when you get there.

/ buying replacement parts by mail #8  
Try opening your manual and see what SPECS are listed for your shear bolt.

soundguy

jarbill said:
I actually don't know what kind of bolts they are. This is the first one I broke, and I couldn't find the pieces to look at them.

I did go by the TSC store and see if they had anything labeled as shear bolts or anything, but I didn't see anything.

If I could buy them in bulk, that would be great. I meant to buy a half-dozen or so when I got my tractor and I just neglected to do so. This time, I know better.

Jerry in Texas.