Buying Advice Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #131  
I have purchased a complete package deal in my area from a Kubota Dealer which included BX24 Tractor w/front bucket-backhoe, brush-hog mower,straight blade,6' rake,post hole digger,18' dual axle trailer for the my 3 acre property at a cost of 19,500.00 delivered. I've had this for many years and and should be all you should need for what you are looking for for many years of dependable service. I've used mine very extensively and sometime hard without no brake downs VERY RELIABLE AND EASY TO CHANGE IMPLEMENTS.

"I've had this for many years"
Meaning the property? I assume since you gave a price for the package that it is a very recent purchase. Clearly used since they stopped making the BX24 in 2009 according to TractorData. The MSRP for the equivalent current model (25D) is $19,950 for just the tractor with FEL and backhoe.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #132  
"I've had this for many years"
Meaning the property? I assume since you gave a price for the package that it is a very recent purchase. Clearly used since they stopped making the BX24 in 2009 according to TractorData. The MSRP for the equivalent current model (25D) is $19,950 for just the tractor with FEL and backhoe.

I would think the whole package would be another 8 or 9 K now.

I was looking at a Mahindra Max28 and it was in the low 20s for the Max, HST, TLB, no other attachments.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #133  
I have 2 acres and mow about 2/3 acre. I had an STX38 JD, so small I could pick up the rear end by hand. I was looking for something larger, like a BX1500. I watched ebay and found a BX2230 for about $2000 less than retail of the 1500. 60" deck and fel. I can mow in about 20 minutes if pushed but usually run about 35 to 40. I have cleared snow with the fel for 3 years including a 14 inch storm where the snow turned blue from the water content. I've got 165 foot paved driveway that varies from 1 to 3 lanes. A blade is the fastest to clear snow, the blower is the most efficient because you get rid of it completely. But for that storm the fel was best because I could lift it over the pile and keep it rolling along that way. I spun out pushing the pile with my front wheels in the air, and that tells me a blade front or rear would have been useless. I have a blade on the back that I picked up for $150 and I use both the fel and blade now. Couldn't ever justify the blower yet.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #135  
I guess I am going to buck what most everyone is saying. I have a John Deere 2320 and I love it on my 2 acres. I have a FEL, tiller, mid mount mower, bush hog and a furrower. I think a CUT is wonderful and I love it for my property. I have a lot of trees and have no issues going around them. I don't have any problems with the weight of the tractor on the lawn. I use my FEL to move snow with no issues, sure it is slower than a blower but for the size of my driveway it isn't an issue. I can't believe how many things I use my FEL for. It is so handy, I can take it on and off in about a minute and the drive over deck mower is also about a minute. I am a fan of one tractor with a lot of attachments rather than a bunch of specialized equipment.

I started out with just a push mower when I first bought the house. For a couple of years I mowed it all with just the push mower. Then I moved up to a 16HP riding lawn mower. For many years I used it and then a few years ago I got my JD 2320. The mowing is so much faster and better on my 2320 than the lawn mower. I use the FEL to move things around all of the time. I have never once wished I had gone down in size but I have wished a few times I had gone up.

One final thing, everyone agrees that a FEL is wonderful, but you might want to think if you are going to want to dump in the bed of a pickup. Some smaller loaders can't do that. Make sure your dump height is considered.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #136  
I have 1.5 acres. I bought a 22hp 4wd diesel tractor with a front bucket. I have other attachments but the bucket is used more than I would have guessed. It does a good job tilling my garden. I would not go smaller and I would not go 2wd and prefer diesel. If you work a tractor hard then I would consider a top brand tractor but I am not hard on my tractor, I bought it 7 years ago new, it has a little over 300 hours, and it is not a major brand but meets my needs and cost much less than a new one today.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #137  
I've since moved on to a skid steer, but I started out with a new 2004 JD 790/loader and then went to a new 2009 Kubota B3030 with cab & loader for my 2 acre property. Did all I needed & more for any misc. chores. A zero turn did and still does take care of the mowing. That was a real time saver over the old lawn tractor.
You'll never regret having a loader. I would suggest one that's easy on & off in case you need to get into a tight spot with any implements on the rear or if you have a MMM and need to get close to cut down on your trimming up time.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #138  
I've since moved on to a skid steer, but I started out with a new 2004 JD 790/loader and then went to a new 2009 Kubota B3030 with cab & loader for my 2 acre property. Did all I needed & more for any misc. chores. A zero turn did and still does take care of the mowing. That was a real time saver over the old lawn tractor.
You'll never regret having a loader. I would suggest one that's easy on & off in case you need to get into a tight spot with any implements on the rear or if you have a MMM and need to get close to cut down on your trimming up time.

" . . . moved on to a skid steer . . ."?! Wow, a 6000 lb 56 hp skid steer for two acres??

Your skid steer has a much more capable front loader than most CUTs, but I'm guessing that unless you live in a house built on a mound of boulders, and you like rearranging rocks for fun, you must be using that skid steer for other stuff too? Do you have any SSQC attachments for it? I saw one guy mowing along a drainage ditch with a SSQC front brush mower - very maneuverable and able to mow with finesse and speed not achievable with a 3-point brush hog.

bumper